Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole Board Of Canada Denies Edmonton Hostage Taker Patrick Clayton's Appeal For Release

The Canadian Press, 26 Oct, 2017 11:36 AM
    ABBOTSFORD, B.C. — A man who took nine people hostage at gunpoint in Edmonton has lost a Parole Board of Canada appeal for release from custody.
     
     
    Patrick Clayton is serving an 11-year sentence for hostage-taking, pointing a firearm and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose in relation to a 2009 incident at the Workers' Compensation Board office.
     
     
    Clayton was granted day parole in November 2015 but that was revoked this May after he was found to be deceitful and manipulative, that he breached his curfew and was exhibiting impulsivity and poor decision making.
     
     
    After being returned to prison, the board says Clayton admitted to using prescription and street drugs to mitigate mental health issues and was also engaging in a relationship with a sex worker.
     
     
    Clayton claimed on appeal that he was not previously given an option to attend a treatment centre and also wants job training.
     
     
    But in a decision released to the media Wednesday, the board's appeal division says Clayton had attended two previous substance treatment programs and he continued to use and abuse drugs.
     
     
    The division's documents say it supports the decision to revoke Clayton's parole because his deteriorating behaviour took place "behind the scenes" without the knowledge of his case management team and his problem behaviour continued despite significant interventions.
     
     
    "The Board found that, despite ongoing interventions, you were unable to put into practice the skills to minimize behaviours which in the past had put the community at significant risk," says the Oct. 13 decision.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Toronto Neurosurgeon Mohammed Shamji Charged In The Death Of His Wife Denied Bail

    Toronto Neurosurgeon Mohammed Shamji Charged In The Death Of His Wife Denied Bail
    TORONTO — A Toronto neurosurgeon charged with first-degree murder in the death of his wife has been denied bail.

    Toronto Neurosurgeon Mohammed Shamji Charged In The Death Of His Wife Denied Bail

    Naming Rights For Arenas Is The Norm: Why ScotiaBank Bet $800m On NHL Stadium

    Naming Rights For Arenas Is The Norm: Why ScotiaBank Bet $800m On NHL Stadium
    VANCOUVER — Scotiabank's $800-million deal for the naming rights to the Air Canada Centre, home of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, is the latest move by a corporation to corner the sponsorship market of the country's national pastime.

    Naming Rights For Arenas Is The Norm: Why ScotiaBank Bet $800m On NHL Stadium

    Math Scores Flat And Falling Among Ontario Elementary Students Despite Funding

    Math Scores Flat And Falling Among Ontario Elementary Students Despite Funding
     Math test scores among public elementary school students in Ontario have not improved — in some cases they have decreased slightly — despite a $60-million "renewed math strategy" the government had hoped would help solve the problem.

    Math Scores Flat And Falling Among Ontario Elementary Students Despite Funding

    B.C. Liberals Change Leadership Dates To Avoid Super Bowl Clash

    B.C. Liberals Change Leadership Dates To Avoid Super Bowl Clash
    VANCOUVER — To avoid a potential political fumble British Columbia's Liberal party is moving the dates of its leadership race to avoid conflicting with the Super Bowl.

    B.C. Liberals Change Leadership Dates To Avoid Super Bowl Clash

    B.C. Bride Launches Class-Action Lawsuit Against Air Transat For Ruining Wedding

    B.C. Bride Launches Class-Action Lawsuit Against Air Transat For Ruining Wedding
    The class action was filed in the British Columbia Supreme Court by Jessica Spencer, a 33-year-old accountant from Victoria, on behalf of herself and other passengers who were misled.

    B.C. Bride Launches Class-Action Lawsuit Against Air Transat For Ruining Wedding

    Calgary Police Officers Charged With Kidnapping, Assault During Investigation

    Calgary Police Officers Charged With Kidnapping, Assault During Investigation
    CALGARY — Three senior members of the Calgary Police Service have been charged with kidnapping and assaulting a man they believed had information in the 2010 case of an at-risk female youth who they thought was being sexually exploited.

    Calgary Police Officers Charged With Kidnapping, Assault During Investigation