Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Premier John Horgan Says He Won't Escalate Trade Dispute With Alberta Over Pipeline

    B.C. Premier John Horgan Says He Won't Escalate Trade Dispute With Alberta Over Pipeline
    British Columbia Premier John Horgan doesn't intend to respond to any provocation from Alberta in the escalating trade dispute over the Trans Mountain pipeline.

    B.C. Premier John Horgan Says He Won't Escalate Trade Dispute With Alberta Over Pipeline

    Remains Of 6 Individuals Found On Property Linked To Serial Killer Bruce Mcarthur: Police

    Remains Of 6 Individuals Found On Property Linked To  Serial Killer Bruce Mcarthur: Police
    Toronto police say they will update the public this afternoon on their investigation into alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

    Remains Of 6 Individuals Found On Property Linked To Serial Killer Bruce Mcarthur: Police

    One Man Dead After Multiple Pileups On Montreal Area Highways

    One Man Dead After Multiple Pileups On Montreal Area Highways
    MONTREAL — A man in his 70s died and at least 15 people suffered minor injuries Wednesday in one of several pileups on Montreal area highways in the midst of a winter storm.

    One Man Dead After Multiple Pileups On Montreal Area Highways

    Man, 29, Dies In Montreal Hospital After Shooting

    Man, 29, Dies In Montreal Hospital After Shooting
    Police say the shooting occurred just after midnight during an argument involving a few people on Chambly St., north of the downtown core.

    Man, 29, Dies In Montreal Hospital After Shooting

    Justin Trudeau Looks To Lure Tech Talent, Capital North In San Francisco Visit

    Justin Trudeau Looks To Lure Tech Talent, Capital North In San Francisco Visit
    The employee roll at Ben Zifkin's Toronto-based startup is set to double over the coming year to handle the increase in users of his free service, a business-based social network known as Hubba.

    Justin Trudeau Looks To Lure Tech Talent, Capital North In San Francisco Visit

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau
    William Benham, 52, was in Medicine Hat provincial court today and entered a guilty plea to charges of uttering threats and threats to cause damage to property.

    Medicine Hat Man Pleads Guilty To Threatening Prime Minister Trudeau