Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Elderly man dies in South Vancouver after being hit by a car

Elderly man dies in South Vancouver after being hit by a car
Paramedics attended the scene and the man was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The male pedestrian succumbed to his injuries and passed away Sunday.

Elderly man dies in South Vancouver after being hit by a car

Doctors fatigued by slow vaccine rollout: CMA

Doctors fatigued by slow vaccine rollout: CMA
The CMA survey, conducted on 1,648 practising physicians who responded between Feb. 18 and 22, found 69 per cent felt an increase in fatigue over the last year, with 65 per cent experiencing anxiety around the pandemic.

Doctors fatigued by slow vaccine rollout: CMA

Man who rammed Rideau Hall gate gets six years

Man who rammed Rideau Hall gate gets six years
He will also be prohibited from possessing any firearms, ammunition or explosive substances for life. Hurren had initially faced 21 weapons charges and one of threatening the prime minister.

Man who rammed Rideau Hall gate gets six years

Cabinet minister grilled over quarantine hotels

Cabinet minister grilled over quarantine hotels
Blair told the committee that quarantine measures have been effective and that any allegations should be thoroughly investigated.

Cabinet minister grilled over quarantine hotels

Panorama Ridge Secondary School in Surrey put on “Hold and Secure” yesterday

Panorama Ridge Secondary School in Surrey put on “Hold and Secure” yesterday
Two teenagers had an alleged dispute in a nearby alleyway. No weapon was found but police are still investigating.

Panorama Ridge Secondary School in Surrey put on “Hold and Secure” yesterday

PMO knew of Vance allegations in 2018: Trudeau

PMO knew of Vance allegations in 2018: Trudeau
The prime minister made the comments this afternoon in the House of Commons, confirming that then-military ombudsman Gary Walbourne spoke to Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan about an allegation against Vance in March 2018.

PMO knew of Vance allegations in 2018: Trudeau