Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jul, 2025 10:49 AM
  • Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Canada's premiers have called on the federal government to improve the country's relationship with China in the face of the ongoing trade war with the U.S.

With tariffs and constant economic threats from U.S. President Donald Trump, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe and Ontario Premier Doug Ford say the country will need to deal more with China.

The premiers have gathered in Huntsville, Ont., for the third and final day of the Council of the Federation meeting.

"If we're truly going to move and expand our reliance away from the United States in any way, shape, or form — and I would suggest the only way to do it is on additional products produced, not existing — we're going to have to deal with China, and so we're going to need a broader relationship with them," Moe said.

Both Moe and Ford are worried about steelworkers in their respective provinces, with three major steel plants feeling the brunt of U.S. tariffs on steel, combined with China dumping steel into the market through proxy countries. 

"You know what Churchill said, our enemy of our enemy is our friend, and I don't consider Americans the enemy, but right now President Trump himself is acting like the enemy," Ford said.

He said Ontario imports about $40 billion worth of Chinese goods and exports about $3 billion.

"As long as China plays fair and doesn't undercut our markets, be it the auto sector or any sector," he said. 

"I have no problem dealing with them because we're already dealing with them."

Ford said he still supports the 100 per cent tariffs Canada imposed on Chinese-made electric vehicles last October, matching what the Biden administration had already done in the U.S., as well as 25 per cent tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum.

Later in the fall, Canada imposed tariffs on a range of other Chinese goods, including EV batteries and parts, critical minerals, solar panels and semiconductors.

In response, China imposed 100 per cent tariffs on imports of Canadian canola oil and meal. It also has a 25 per cent levy on some pork, fish and seafood products from Canada.

Last week, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a second round of protectionist and anti-dumping measures in response to the U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum, targeting Chinese-made steel. Canada will raise the tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum imports to 50 per cent and is adding a 25 per cent tariff on steel melted and poured in China, no matter where it comes from.

The premiers said in a statement they'd like the federal government to prioritize work toward the removal of Chinese tariffs on Canadian canola, peas, pork and seafood. 

They are also asking the federal government for changes to the bail system and more money for health care.

The premiers met with Carney on Tuesday to discuss the trade war with the U.S. after meeting with First Nation leaders the previous day.

The prime minister and the premiers presented a united front in the face of U.S. tariffs, but revealed little about the negotiations with an Aug. 1 deadline fast approaching.

The prime minister and the premiers all downplayed the importance of getting a deal done soon to avoid further U.S. tariffs, saying they want the best deal possible regardless of timing.

A number of provinces also signed several free-trade deals to open up internal trade, while others committed to building pipelines to get oil and gas to new markets.

The premiers are holding a closing press conference this afternoon. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide
British Columbia officials say there is a risk of more landslides and bank erosion as a large lake of water and debris flows past a landslide that blocked the Chilcotin River for days. The latest provincial update says a "significant amount of instability and bank failures" have been observed along the Chilcotin River from the confluence of the Fraser River to the site of the massive landslide. 

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide

Parts of Calgary airport closed due to damage from hail and heavy rainfall

Parts of Calgary airport closed due to damage from hail and heavy rainfall
Parts of the domestic terminal building at the Calgary airport are closed due to damage caused by hail and heavy rainfall. The Calgary International Airport said in a post on social media the work has started to clean up the water and assess the damage.

Parts of Calgary airport closed due to damage from hail and heavy rainfall

New housing to be expedited

New housing to be expedited
18 BC communities are among 30 across Canada to reach agreements with the federal government to fast-track the construction of new housing. Ottawa is providing 68 million dollars to support the plans.

New housing to be expedited

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes
Wildfire evacuees from Jasper, Alta., whose homes were destroyed or damaged last week, were able to start registering online Friday for bus tours of the burned townsite. However, when the tours would take place was still undecided.

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister
The minister said there's no timeline on when the water will start flowing, and "current modelling" shows that overtopping of the dam is more likely than a sudden break. They estimate it will take 12 to 24 hours for water and debris from the dam to reach Hope, B.C., about 500 kilometres south of the massive landslide.

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are warning the public and appealing for information after what they describe as a "brazen" sexual assault at a community centre. The R-C-M-P say they responded to the report on Wednesday morning at the Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre.

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey