Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jul, 2025 10:49 AM
  • Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Canada's premiers have called on the federal government to improve the country's relationship with China in the face of the ongoing trade war with the U.S.

With tariffs and constant economic threats from U.S. President Donald Trump, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe and Ontario Premier Doug Ford say the country will need to deal more with China.

The premiers have gathered in Huntsville, Ont., for the third and final day of the Council of the Federation meeting.

"If we're truly going to move and expand our reliance away from the United States in any way, shape, or form — and I would suggest the only way to do it is on additional products produced, not existing — we're going to have to deal with China, and so we're going to need a broader relationship with them," Moe said.

Both Moe and Ford are worried about steelworkers in their respective provinces, with three major steel plants feeling the brunt of U.S. tariffs on steel, combined with China dumping steel into the market through proxy countries. 

"You know what Churchill said, our enemy of our enemy is our friend, and I don't consider Americans the enemy, but right now President Trump himself is acting like the enemy," Ford said.

He said Ontario imports about $40 billion worth of Chinese goods and exports about $3 billion.

"As long as China plays fair and doesn't undercut our markets, be it the auto sector or any sector," he said. 

"I have no problem dealing with them because we're already dealing with them."

Ford said he still supports the 100 per cent tariffs Canada imposed on Chinese-made electric vehicles last October, matching what the Biden administration had already done in the U.S., as well as 25 per cent tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum.

Later in the fall, Canada imposed tariffs on a range of other Chinese goods, including EV batteries and parts, critical minerals, solar panels and semiconductors.

In response, China imposed 100 per cent tariffs on imports of Canadian canola oil and meal. It also has a 25 per cent levy on some pork, fish and seafood products from Canada.

Last week, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a second round of protectionist and anti-dumping measures in response to the U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum, targeting Chinese-made steel. Canada will raise the tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum imports to 50 per cent and is adding a 25 per cent tariff on steel melted and poured in China, no matter where it comes from.

The premiers said in a statement they'd like the federal government to prioritize work toward the removal of Chinese tariffs on Canadian canola, peas, pork and seafood. 

They are also asking the federal government for changes to the bail system and more money for health care.

The premiers met with Carney on Tuesday to discuss the trade war with the U.S. after meeting with First Nation leaders the previous day.

The prime minister and the premiers presented a united front in the face of U.S. tariffs, but revealed little about the negotiations with an Aug. 1 deadline fast approaching.

The prime minister and the premiers all downplayed the importance of getting a deal done soon to avoid further U.S. tariffs, saying they want the best deal possible regardless of timing.

A number of provinces also signed several free-trade deals to open up internal trade, while others committed to building pipelines to get oil and gas to new markets.

The premiers are holding a closing press conference this afternoon. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

MORE National ARTICLES

Hot long weekend ahead

Hot long weekend ahead
Drivers are being warned ahead of the upcoming long weekend that lengthy trips and hot temperatures can be a dangerous combination leading to fatigue. The I-C-B-C says even a slight reduction in reaction time can significantly increase the risk of crashing.

Hot long weekend ahead

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Man stabbed in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are looking for witnesses after a man was stabbed downtown on Monday night. Police say a witness flagged down an officer outside the police station to report someone in distress and officers found the man bleeding from his abdomen.

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP
A father and son who were allegedly planning a violent attack in Toronto and had links to the Islamic State group are facing terrorism related charges, the RCMP said Wednesday. The two were arrested at a hotel in Richmond Hill, Ont., on the weekend, and were in possession of an axe and a machete, the Mounties said. 

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator
The case involved a B.C. couple, Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian, who were ordered by the British Columbia Securities Commission to pay $13.5 million in administrative penalties and $5.6 million to repay those who lost money in a market manipulation scheme that "caused vulnerable investors to lose millions of dollars."

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected
A fire rampaging through Jasper National Park remained out of control Wednesday, while officials worked to restore power and water in the park's townsite and to hash out a plan for vacationers to retrieve their stranded camping trailers.

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River
A landslide blocking a river in British Columbia's central Interior has injured a man and prompted the Cariboo Regional District to issue evacuation orders due to "immediate danger to life and safety" caused by flooding triggered by the slide. The two evacuation orders span 107 square kilometres along the Chilcotin River southwest of the City of Williams Lake.

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River