Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jul, 2025 10:49 AM
  • Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Canada's premiers have called on the federal government to improve the country's relationship with China in the face of the ongoing trade war with the U.S.

With tariffs and constant economic threats from U.S. President Donald Trump, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe and Ontario Premier Doug Ford say the country will need to deal more with China.

The premiers have gathered in Huntsville, Ont., for the third and final day of the Council of the Federation meeting.

"If we're truly going to move and expand our reliance away from the United States in any way, shape, or form — and I would suggest the only way to do it is on additional products produced, not existing — we're going to have to deal with China, and so we're going to need a broader relationship with them," Moe said.

Both Moe and Ford are worried about steelworkers in their respective provinces, with three major steel plants feeling the brunt of U.S. tariffs on steel, combined with China dumping steel into the market through proxy countries. 

"You know what Churchill said, our enemy of our enemy is our friend, and I don't consider Americans the enemy, but right now President Trump himself is acting like the enemy," Ford said.

He said Ontario imports about $40 billion worth of Chinese goods and exports about $3 billion.

"As long as China plays fair and doesn't undercut our markets, be it the auto sector or any sector," he said. 

"I have no problem dealing with them because we're already dealing with them."

Ford said he still supports the 100 per cent tariffs Canada imposed on Chinese-made electric vehicles last October, matching what the Biden administration had already done in the U.S., as well as 25 per cent tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum.

Later in the fall, Canada imposed tariffs on a range of other Chinese goods, including EV batteries and parts, critical minerals, solar panels and semiconductors.

In response, China imposed 100 per cent tariffs on imports of Canadian canola oil and meal. It also has a 25 per cent levy on some pork, fish and seafood products from Canada.

Last week, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a second round of protectionist and anti-dumping measures in response to the U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum, targeting Chinese-made steel. Canada will raise the tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum imports to 50 per cent and is adding a 25 per cent tariff on steel melted and poured in China, no matter where it comes from.

The premiers said in a statement they'd like the federal government to prioritize work toward the removal of Chinese tariffs on Canadian canola, peas, pork and seafood. 

They are also asking the federal government for changes to the bail system and more money for health care.

The premiers met with Carney on Tuesday to discuss the trade war with the U.S. after meeting with First Nation leaders the previous day.

The prime minister and the premiers presented a united front in the face of U.S. tariffs, but revealed little about the negotiations with an Aug. 1 deadline fast approaching.

The prime minister and the premiers all downplayed the importance of getting a deal done soon to avoid further U.S. tariffs, saying they want the best deal possible regardless of timing.

A number of provinces also signed several free-trade deals to open up internal trade, while others committed to building pipelines to get oil and gas to new markets.

The premiers are holding a closing press conference this afternoon. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

MORE National ARTICLES

Triple stabbings in Vancouver

Triple stabbings in Vancouver
Police say a 29-year-old man has been charged in relation to a series of stabbings in downtown Vancouver last week. Officers responded last Monday night to reports that a man in his early 30s had been stabbed in the back, followed by two more stabbings in the same area.

Triple stabbings in Vancouver

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns
Fisheries and Oceans Canada says "aids to navigation" will continue operating at both the Carmanah Point and Pachena Point light stations located along the Vancouver Island coast that's also home to the famed West Coast Trail. The light keepers will move out of the buildings before winter weather arrives.

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Opposition BC United party looks to add former Liberal party name to election ballot

Opposition BC United party looks to add former Liberal party name to election ballot
BC United communications director Adam Wilson says the party is preparing to formally apply to Elections BC to have a phrase acknowledging that it was formally known as the B.C. Liberals included on the ballot for the election this fall. 

Opposition BC United party looks to add former Liberal party name to election ballot

Ship fire off Victoria shows Canada isn't prepared for marine emergencies: TSB

Ship fire off Victoria shows Canada isn't prepared for marine emergencies: TSB
An investigation report into the cargo spill of more than 100 containers and a fire aboard the MV Zim Kingston in October 2021 says the incident "raised questions about the availability and capability of Canadian resources" in emergencies.

Ship fire off Victoria shows Canada isn't prepared for marine emergencies: TSB

'A moving monster': How did the Jasper fire get so bad, so fast?

'A moving monster': How did the Jasper fire get so bad, so fast?
What has happened in Jasper National Park is a "microcosm of what we're seeing across Western Canada," said wildfire risk expert and former Parks Canada wildland firefighter Mathieu Bourbonnais. More than 20,000 people in and around the Rocky Mountain townsite were ordered to evacuate last Monday.

'A moving monster': How did the Jasper fire get so bad, so fast?

Conservatives launch attack ads on NDP, calling leader 'Sellout Singh'

Conservatives launch attack ads on NDP, calling leader 'Sellout Singh'
The Conservative party released two new ads this week attacking NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh as a "sellout," blaming him for a national rise in crime, housing prices and costly living. The ads question why Singh is keeping Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in power at a time when his Liberal government is unpopular with Canadians. 

Conservatives launch attack ads on NDP, calling leader 'Sellout Singh'