Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jul, 2025 10:49 AM
  • Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Canada's premiers have called on the federal government to improve the country's relationship with China in the face of the ongoing trade war with the U.S.

With tariffs and constant economic threats from U.S. President Donald Trump, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe and Ontario Premier Doug Ford say the country will need to deal more with China.

The premiers have gathered in Huntsville, Ont., for the third and final day of the Council of the Federation meeting.

"If we're truly going to move and expand our reliance away from the United States in any way, shape, or form — and I would suggest the only way to do it is on additional products produced, not existing — we're going to have to deal with China, and so we're going to need a broader relationship with them," Moe said.

Both Moe and Ford are worried about steelworkers in their respective provinces, with three major steel plants feeling the brunt of U.S. tariffs on steel, combined with China dumping steel into the market through proxy countries. 

"You know what Churchill said, our enemy of our enemy is our friend, and I don't consider Americans the enemy, but right now President Trump himself is acting like the enemy," Ford said.

He said Ontario imports about $40 billion worth of Chinese goods and exports about $3 billion.

"As long as China plays fair and doesn't undercut our markets, be it the auto sector or any sector," he said. 

"I have no problem dealing with them because we're already dealing with them."

Ford said he still supports the 100 per cent tariffs Canada imposed on Chinese-made electric vehicles last October, matching what the Biden administration had already done in the U.S., as well as 25 per cent tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum.

Later in the fall, Canada imposed tariffs on a range of other Chinese goods, including EV batteries and parts, critical minerals, solar panels and semiconductors.

In response, China imposed 100 per cent tariffs on imports of Canadian canola oil and meal. It also has a 25 per cent levy on some pork, fish and seafood products from Canada.

Last week, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a second round of protectionist and anti-dumping measures in response to the U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum, targeting Chinese-made steel. Canada will raise the tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum imports to 50 per cent and is adding a 25 per cent tariff on steel melted and poured in China, no matter where it comes from.

The premiers said in a statement they'd like the federal government to prioritize work toward the removal of Chinese tariffs on Canadian canola, peas, pork and seafood. 

They are also asking the federal government for changes to the bail system and more money for health care.

The premiers met with Carney on Tuesday to discuss the trade war with the U.S. after meeting with First Nation leaders the previous day.

The prime minister and the premiers presented a united front in the face of U.S. tariffs, but revealed little about the negotiations with an Aug. 1 deadline fast approaching.

The prime minister and the premiers all downplayed the importance of getting a deal done soon to avoid further U.S. tariffs, saying they want the best deal possible regardless of timing.

A number of provinces also signed several free-trade deals to open up internal trade, while others committed to building pipelines to get oil and gas to new markets.

The premiers are holding a closing press conference this afternoon. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes
British Columbia's minister of emergency management is scheduled to give an update on the wildfire situation today as some areas in the province cool off while others flare. Bowinn Ma and Forests Minister Bruce Ralston will be joined by staff from the province to give an overview of the wildfire trouble spots in B.C. 

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives
BC United Leader Kevin Falcon is losing a third member of the legislature to the Conservative Party of British Columbia. BC United's director of communications Adam Wilson says in a statement that Teresa Wat, who represents the riding of Richmond North Centre, has indicated her intention to join John Rustad's B.C. Conservatives.

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze
Parks Canada officials and politicians angrily denied Monday that forest management policies in Jasper National Park contributed to a catastrophic wildfire that damaged one-third of the townsite. Ron Hallman, CEO of the federal agency, said it was "ridiculous" to assert his organization puts a higher value on nature than people.

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office
The Coalition Against Workplace Discrimination obtained the report using the Access to Information Act. It details barriers for employees of colour at the Privy Council Office, the administrative arm of government that serves the Prime Minister's Office and cabinet. The conclusions were based on group discussions and interviews with employees in 2021 and 2022.

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines
WestJet and Whitehorse-based Air North have announced a new agreement that will allow single-ticket travel across both airlines' networks. A statement from WestJet says the new "interline agreement" allows passengers to book a single ticket with a connected itinerary between WestJet's network and the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'
Mark Jennings-Bates, with the Kaslo Search and Rescue, says a skilled helicopter pilot was able to navigate the winds and thick smoke to rescue the hikers from the side of an alpine lake. He says the four were well prepared and used an iPhone's emergency SOS feature to provide rescuers with their precise location.

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'