Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

Manslaughter Charges Possible For Fentanyl Dealers: B.C. Public Safety Minister

Manslaughter Charges Possible For Fentanyl Dealers: B.C. Public Safety Minister
Mike Farnworth, who is also solicitor general, says the NDP government is considering tougher penalties against fentanyl dealers.

Manslaughter Charges Possible For Fentanyl Dealers: B.C. Public Safety Minister

Murder Charge Dropped Against Newfoundland Man Accused Of Killing Home Invader

Murder Charge Dropped Against Newfoundland Man Accused Of Killing Home Invader
Gilbert Budgell was charged with second-degree murder in the shooting of one of two masked men who entered his Botwood house in central Newfoundland in April 2016.

Murder Charge Dropped Against Newfoundland Man Accused Of Killing Home Invader

B.C. Man Suffered Severe Injuries In Fatal Encounter With Police, Watchdog Says

B.C. Man Suffered Severe Injuries In Fatal Encounter With Police, Watchdog Says
VANCOUVER — British Columbia's police watchdog is shedding light on the severe injuries suffered by a man during a deadly encounter with Vancouver police in a court document seeking an order for an officer to be interviewed as a witness.

B.C. Man Suffered Severe Injuries In Fatal Encounter With Police, Watchdog Says

Canadian Home Sales Gain Ground In September, But Down From Year Ago Mark

Canadian Home Sales Gain Ground In September, But Down From Year Ago Mark
OTTAWA — The number of homes sold in September climbed for the second month in a row after a slowdown earlier this year that was led by a cooling in the Toronto market.

Canadian Home Sales Gain Ground In September, But Down From Year Ago Mark

Small Cities And Their Malls Brace For Pending Sears Store Closures

Small Cities And Their Malls Brace For Pending Sears Store Closures
 At Heritage Place Mall in Owen Sound, Ont., an empty Sears department store would leave a mammoth void. The insolvent retailer is one of the mall's largest occupants. 

Small Cities And Their Malls Brace For Pending Sears Store Closures

Punjab Constable's Wife Set Afire By Her 80-Year-Old Father-In-Law In Tarn Taran, Dies

Punjab Constable's Wife Set Afire By Her 80-Year-Old Father-In-Law In Tarn Taran, Dies
The victim, identified as Harjinder Kaur of Burj Puhla village, suffered critical burn injuries and died at a private hospital in Amritsar today.

Punjab Constable's Wife Set Afire By Her 80-Year-Old Father-In-Law In Tarn Taran, Dies