Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

Police Confirm Body Found In B.C. Woods Is That Of Missing Australian Hiker

Police Confirm Body Found In B.C. Woods Is That Of Missing Australian Hiker
Sophie Dowsley and her partner, 44-year-old Greg Tiffin, were reported missing July 10.

Police Confirm Body Found In B.C. Woods Is That Of Missing Australian Hiker

Bodies Of Parents, 7-Year-Old Girl Found In Burning Home In Nanaimo, B.C.

Bodies Of Parents, 7-Year-Old Girl Found In Burning Home In Nanaimo, B.C.
Friends say there had been an ongoing dispute between the two parents over custody of the seven-year-old girl

Bodies Of Parents, 7-Year-Old Girl Found In Burning Home In Nanaimo, B.C.

B.C. Researchers Develop Eco-friendly, Affordable, Quake-Resistant Concrete

B.C. Researchers Develop Eco-friendly, Affordable, Quake-Resistant Concrete
VANCOUVER — Researchers in British Columbia have developed a spray-on concrete they say will protect schools from even the strongest earthquakes and cut the cost of seismic retrofits in half.

B.C. Researchers Develop Eco-friendly, Affordable, Quake-Resistant Concrete

Self-Driving Ubers Could Still Be Many Years Away, Says Research Head

Self-Driving Ubers Could Still Be Many Years Away, Says Research Head
MONTREAL — The head of Uber's new self-driving vehicle lab says a viable, on-demand autonomous commercial transportation service remains a long-term goal.

Self-Driving Ubers Could Still Be Many Years Away, Says Research Head

Passerby Throws A Sign At A Barking Chihuahua, Shattering Her Jaw And Causing Her To Lose An Eye

Police say a 36-year-old Halifax man was walking his own large dog on Davison Street on Monday evening when he passed the barking Chihuahua's house.

Passerby Throws A Sign At A Barking Chihuahua, Shattering Her Jaw And Causing Her To Lose An Eye

Feds Find More Than A Dozen Who Had Entered US From Canada

Feds Find More Than A Dozen Who Had Entered US From Canada
DERBY LINE, Vt. — The U.S. Border Patrol says agents apprehended a group of 16 people from Mexico and two countries in Central America after some of them illegally entered the United States from Canada.

Feds Find More Than A Dozen Who Had Entered US From Canada