Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

Two Military Members Charged With Sexually Assaulting Other Personnel

Two Military Members Charged With Sexually Assaulting Other Personnel
OTTAWA — Two members of the Canadian Forces have been charged with sexually assaulting other military personnel in separate incidents.

Two Military Members Charged With Sexually Assaulting Other Personnel

B.C.'s High Court Rejects Discrimination Suit From Victoria Guide Dog Owner

B.C.'s High Court Rejects Discrimination Suit From Victoria Guide Dog Owner
Blind Victoria Man Has Lost His Discrimination Complaint In British Columbia's Highest Court

B.C.'s High Court Rejects Discrimination Suit From Victoria Guide Dog Owner

B.C. Conservation Service Says 469 Bears Destroyed In B.C. This Year

B.C. Conservation Service Says 469 Bears Destroyed In B.C. This Year
VICTORIA — British Columbia's Conservation Officer Service reports more than 20,000 conflicts between humans and wildlife around the province between January and October of this year.

B.C. Conservation Service Says 469 Bears Destroyed In B.C. This Year

Mississauga Man Arrested, Pleads Guilty Over Alleged Daesh Plot To Attack Times Square, New York Sub

Mississauga Man Arrested, Pleads Guilty Over Alleged Daesh Plot To Attack Times Square, New York Sub
The U.S. Justice Department says Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy was one of three people arrested in New York City in connection with an alleged Islamic State-inspired plot more than a year ago.

Mississauga Man Arrested, Pleads Guilty Over Alleged Daesh Plot To Attack Times Square, New York Sub

B.C. Liberal Leadership Race Expected To See Another Addition- Todd Stone, Tuesday

VICTORIA — British Columbia's Liberal leadership race is expected to expand to eight candidates, with former transportation minister Todd Stone poised to enter the contest.

B.C. Liberal Leadership Race Expected To See Another Addition- Todd Stone, Tuesday

Abbotsford Suspect Injured In Fall During Arrest, Independent Probe Begins

Abbotsford Suspect Injured In Fall During Arrest, Independent Probe Begins
Abbotsford Police say a 37-year-old man was wanted on outstanding warrants for driving offences and was spotted Thursday in Chilliwack driving 160 kilometres per hour in a 70 kilometre per hour zone.

Abbotsford Suspect Injured In Fall During Arrest, Independent Probe Begins