Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP National Security Unit Seeks Public Video, Pictures Of Edmonton Attack

RCMP National Security Unit Seeks Public Video, Pictures Of Edmonton Attack
EDMONTON — The RCMP unit that investigates threats to national security is asking citizens to share any video or pictures they have of the attacks on Saturday in Edmonton that injured a police officer and four pedestrians.

RCMP National Security Unit Seeks Public Video, Pictures Of Edmonton Attack

Moose Takes Midnight Ramble Across Calgary Transit Station Pedestrian Overpass

Moose Takes Midnight Ramble Across Calgary Transit Station Pedestrian Overpass
Calgary Transit says a moose showed up on its closed-circuit television cameras early this morning as it ambled along a pedestrian overpass near the tracks.

Moose Takes Midnight Ramble Across Calgary Transit Station Pedestrian Overpass

A Whole Lot Of Chicken Feed: Rural Alberta Couple Hit $60M Lotto Jackpot

A Whole Lot Of Chicken Feed: Rural Alberta Couple Hit $60M Lotto Jackpot
Brett McCoy and Robin Walker say they found out they won the Sept. 22 draw while they were picking up chicken feed and treats for their kids at the McLeod Trading post in the hamlet of Peers.

A Whole Lot Of Chicken Feed: Rural Alberta Couple Hit $60M Lotto Jackpot

Justin Trudeau Berated At Hill Gathering Over Missing, Murdered Women Inquiry

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau stood quietly with his head down Wednesday as families expressed extreme anger toward him about the inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

Justin Trudeau Berated At Hill Gathering Over Missing, Murdered Women Inquiry

B.C. RCMP Appeal For Information In Cold Case Involving Murder Of Infant Twins

B.C. RCMP Appeal For Information In Cold Case Involving Murder Of Infant Twins
PRINCETON, B.C. — Police say the case of murdered newborn twin girls remains active more than 20 years after their bodies were found in a provincial park north of Princeton, B.C.

B.C. RCMP Appeal For Information In Cold Case Involving Murder Of Infant Twins

Sufi Queen RICHA SHARMA Is Coming To Surrey!

Sufi Queen RICHA SHARMA Is Coming To Surrey!
Acclaimed as the most awaited North American tour of 2017 , Richa Sharma concert tickets at $35,45,55,65,75 & VIP are available at #KamalVideoPalaceSurrey or can be bought online at www.vtixonline.com  or call KAMAL SHARMA at (604)592-9777 or (604)833-1977

Sufi Queen RICHA SHARMA Is Coming To Surrey!