Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Provinces agree to upgrades to AgriStability

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Mar, 2021 12:06 AM
  • Provinces agree to upgrades to AgriStability

The federal government has a new agreement with the provinces that gives upgrades to a program that protects farmers against large declines in income.

Federal Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau hosted a meeting with provincial and territorial agriculture ministers Thursday to discuss planned changes to the AgriStability program that would increase payouts for production losses, increased costs and effects from market conditions.

Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba were the only holdouts going into the meeting.

"We've received the support from all our prov. & territorial colleagues on the removal of the Reference Margin Limit from AgriStability, retroactive to 2020!" Bibeau tweeted.

"It's a big win for farmers across Canada = about $95M/year. Thank you to all farmers & producer groups who got behind our offer."

Ottawa had proposed last November to eliminate the reference margin limit, which serves to reduce a farmer's payout and to boost the compensation rate to 80 per cent.

All the provinces agreed to removing the margin limit, but an agreement wasn't reached on moving to an 80 per cent compensation rate.

"The federal government chose to withhold $75 million in compensation funding for farmers, costing Alberta $12 million per year in federal transfers," said Alberta Agriculture Minister Devin Dreeshen.

"We are disappointed that the federal government chose to withhold these publicly communicated funds."

Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister Dave Marit said reliable risk management programming is essential to continued growth in the agriculture sector.

"Producers have made it clear that removing the reference margin limit will help the AgriStability program function as intended and make the program more effective and equitable," Marit said.

Response from the agriculture sector was largely one of relief. But the Canadian Federation of Agriculture is calling on Bibeau to offer its increased compensation rate to supportive provinces.

"For years agriculture groups all across Canada have been telling their governments that these programs would not be sufficient in a real crisis. AgriStability, as a program responding solely to severe income losses, is there to help producers in crisis," said CFA's president, Mary Robinson.

"And now, at a time where Canadian agriculture faces immense disruptions and uncertainty, we see critical investments in risk management treated like a political game, with politicians haggling for over 100 days while farmers have real concerns about their livelihoods over the coming year."

Alberta producer groups, including the Alberta Barley Commission, Alberta Beef Producers, Alberta Canola, Alberta Cattle Feeders’ Association and Alberta Pork, also wish the percentage of compensation was higher.

"This portion of the federal offer includes an additional $75 million per year of support for Canadian producers," the groups said in a release.

"We continue to encourage the provincial and territorial Ministers to consider accepting this part of the proposal, bringing additional support to Canadian farmers and ranchers."

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP warn of long delays in pay equity rule

NDP warn of long delays in pay equity rule
The government's pay equity regulations require the likes of banks and telecommunications companies to put plans in place to meet the new rules.

NDP warn of long delays in pay equity rule

Benefits for former GG inappropriate: O'Toole

Benefits for former GG inappropriate: O'Toole
Payette resigned last week ahead of the release of a report concluding she oversaw a highly toxic work environment at Rideau Hall.

Benefits for former GG inappropriate: O'Toole

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast
Environment Canada had been calling for as much as 15 centimetres in some south coast regions by Monday morning.

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday
There are two new health-care facility outbreaks at Royal Inland Hospital and Royal Columbian Hospital. The outbreak at Queen’s Park Care Centre is now over. 

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau
The federal government is looking at options that would make it harder for people to return from foreign trips.

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud
The unproven civil claim named Sanjay Madan, who had a senior IT role and helped develop the computer application for applying and approving the benefit for families with children.

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud