Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Provincial state of emergency extended

Darpan News Desk BC Government, 11 Jan, 2022 05:26 PM
  • Provincial state of emergency extended

With some highways still damaged by flooding and mudslides, and the potential for further flooding this week, the Province is extending the provincial state of emergency.

Given the continued need for public safety measures under the Emergency Program Act and ongoing work to repair damaged highways, the provincial state of emergency is being extended until the end of day, Jan. 18, 2022.

“My continued thanks go out to road crews who are working so hard to get our highways back and fully open,” said Mike Farnworth, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General. “This work is essential in getting vital resources to the people of British Columbia, and once completed will allow for easier access to communities around the province. Thank you to all British Columbians for your ongoing patience and compliance during these challenging times.”

The orders restricting travel on highways 5 and 99 will remain in place. This includes:

  • Highway 5 (Coquihalla) between Hope and Merritt (only commercial vehicles with a minimum licensed gross vehicle weight of 11,794 kilograms and inter-city buses are permitted); and
  • from the junction of Highway 99 and Lillooet River Road to the BC Hydro Seton Lake campsite access in Lillooet (open to all traffic, but vehicles weighing more than 14,500 kilograms are not permitted).

“Work has progressed well while the affected areas have experienced adverse winter conditions,” said Rob Fleming, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. “While this work continues, the restriction on these highways will have to remain in place for a short while longer to ensure road conditions are safe for those driving and working on them.”

The state of emergency gives the Province the ability to use extraordinary powers to protect people and communities.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau resists calls to fire Carolyn Bennett

Trudeau resists calls to fire Carolyn Bennett
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is resisting calls to fire Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett over a text message he acknowledges was "wrong" and "hurtful" and harmed his government's progress on reconciliation.

Trudeau resists calls to fire Carolyn Bennett

Former Canadian Press bureau chief dies at 66

Former Canadian Press bureau chief dies at 66
Jill St. Louis, a former Vancouver bureau chief at The Canadian Press who thrived in a fast-breaking news environment and was a friend to anything with four legs, has died after a battle with metastatic lung cancer. She was 66.

Former Canadian Press bureau chief dies at 66

72 COVID19 cases for Friday

72 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 72 new COVID-19 cases in BC for a total of 147,418 cases. The rolling 7 day average is now 74 new cases. Lowest since August 14. There have been 2 new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,749 deaths in British Columbia.

72 COVID19 cases for Friday

WHO: Delta variant is 'most transmissible' identified so far

WHO: Delta variant is 'most transmissible' identified so far
The head of the World Health Organization said the COVID-19 delta variant, first seen in India, is “the most transmissible of the variants identified so far,” and warned it is now spreading in at least 85 countries.

WHO: Delta variant is 'most transmissible' identified so far

Advice released on what fully vaccinated can do

Advice released on what fully vaccinated can do
The Public Health Agency of Canada says people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 can have dinner together inside someone's house without having to keep their distance or wear a mask.

Advice released on what fully vaccinated can do

B.C. man not at 'immediate risk' to reoffend

B.C. man not at 'immediate risk' to reoffend
The man who killed a 13-year-old girl and injured her friend at a high school in Abbotsford, B.C., has been asked to read the victim impact statements related to his crime before he addresses the court.

B.C. man not at 'immediate risk' to reoffend