Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2025 05:56 PM
  • Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

A report into a wildfire that devastated the Rocky Mountain resort town of Jasper last summer says crews did their best but command and control was hampered by the Alberta government.

The report was commissioned by the town and surveyed participants and firefighters who battled the wind-whipped blaze that destroyed a third of buildings in the community located in Jasper National Park.

While the report says it wasn't meant to assign blame, it notes that town and Parks Canada officials trained together and had an integrated command structure, but things became challenging when the province got involved.

It says the Alberta government, while not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the crisis, made things more difficult with regular requests for information and by seeking to exercise decision-making authority.

The report says the interference disrupted the focus of incident commanders and forced them to spend precious time managing inquiries and issues instead of fighting the fire and leading the re-entry of residents.

“The response to the Jasper Wildfire Complex demonstrated the effectiveness of the strong Unified Command established by the Municipality of Jasper and Parks Canada,” said the report, issued Thursday.

“Provincial involvement added complexity to the response as the Province of Alberta, though not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the incident, regularly requested information and sought to exercise decision-making authority," stated the report.

“While Alberta Wildfire actively supported firefighting operations and participated in the (incident management team), jurisdictional overlap with the province created political challenges that disrupted the focus of incident commanders, leading to time spent managing inquiries and issues instead of directing the wildfire response and re-entry.”

A spokesman for Alberta Public Safety Minister Mike Ellis said they were working on a response.

Jasper officials said they were not able to comment on the report but could do so Friday.

The fire entered the town last July 24, with 25,000 residents and visitors forced out days earlier. 

The residents were out for three weeks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Amber Bracken

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people
More than 50 people from a supportive-housing complex in Nanaimo were displaced Sunday after a fire in a mattress that was started by a cigarette. Troy Libbus, Nanaimo Fire Rescue's assistant chief, said their crew responded to an alarm at Samaritan Place, a supportive-housing complex that has 51 units. 

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison
A man convicted of first-degree murder for killing his business partner in Port Coquitlam in 1994 has died in prison. Correctional Service Canada says David Anthony Lowe, an inmate at William Head Institution near Victoria, died of apparent natural causes last week. 

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

One dead in Burnaby stabbing
Police in Burnaby say homicide investigators are looking for any witnesses or dash-camera footage after a fatal stabbing yesterday evening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing along 1st Avenue near Ingleton Avenue at around 6:15 p-m. 

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall
Mounties in Burnaby say their community response team arrested six shoplifters after being deployed to one of the city’s malls for six hours. Police say nearly 75-hundred-dollars worth of stolen items was recovered and returned to retailers. 

Shoplifting at Burnaby mall

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents
British Columbia's worker safety agency is moving to address "gaps" in construction crane safety after recent accidents, including fatalities. WorkSafeBC says in a statement that it developed safety plans after bringing together 130 groups and individuals, including tower crane operators, unions, employers, contractors and the B.C. Association for Crane Safety. 

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby
British Columbia Premier David Eby says construction of an $85-million expansion of kidney hemodialysis services in Surrey is set to start in August. Eby says a new unit at Surrey Memorial Hospital will add 21 renal hemodialysis beds to treat patients with kidney disease, bringing the hospital's total to 60 stations.

Construction of kidney hemodialysis unit in Surrey starts in August: Eby