Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Aug, 2023 10:33 AM
  • Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

A labour researcher says he hopes the federal government doesn't rush to intervene in British Columbia's port dispute, even if union members reject a tentative deal with employers today.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada concludes the two-day vote at 6 p.m., after a tumultuous period that included a 13-day shutdown of more than 30 port terminals and other sites last month.

McGill University associate professor Barry Eidlin says he hopes the federal government lets the dispute be resolved at the negotiating table, regardless of the vote's outcome.

He says the prospect of federal intervention represents "backsliding to a past era" when workers' fundamental rights weren't respected.

The tentative contract between the union and the BC Maritime Employers Association was announced on Sunday, a day after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose a deal or binding arbitration if it decides a negotiated resolution isn't possible.

Union leaders say workers' key concerns relate to automation and the contracting out of maintenance work, both of which present fundamental challenges to the future of port jobs.

The strike from July 1 to 13 ended when a previous tentative deal was struck, but union members rejected it in a vote on July 28, triggering O'Regan's order for the industrial relations board to get involved.

MORE National ARTICLES

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought
A statement from the regional district of Metro Vancouver says water use is up by 20 per cent for this time of year because of the extended dry, warm weather. It says the area's watersheds have received about 50 millimetres of rain since the start of August, when it would typically see about 400 millimetres between Aug. 1 and Oct. 1.

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence
Joseph Saulnier told a sentencing hearing in B.C. Supreme Court that his client is already serving an 11-year sentence for similar offences against 33 young victims in the Netherlands and more prison time would be "unduly harsh."

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence

South Asian broadcaster and media personality Harjinder Thind awarded The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal

South Asian broadcaster and media personality Harjinder Thind awarded The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal
The commemorative medal marks the 70th anniversary of the Late Queen Elizabeth's coronation. The honor was bestowed upon Thind by Fleetwood-Port Kells MP Ken Hardie. Hardie was present for the award at the Red FM 93.1 studio in Surrey. 

South Asian broadcaster and media personality Harjinder Thind awarded The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal

VPD searches for man who sucker-punched a woman

VPD searches for man who sucker-punched a woman
At 6:30 Wednesday evening, the 29-year-old woman was walking near Cambie and Pender streets when a man approached and suddenly lashed out. He punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground. The suspect was last seen running west on Dunsmuir Street.

VPD searches for man who sucker-punched a woman

Economy to slow considerably this year: PBO

Economy to slow considerably this year: PBO
In his latest economic and fiscal outlook, budget watchdog Yves Giroux says he expects the Bank of Canada to raise its key interest rate to four per cent by the end of the year, a move which is in line with financial markets' expectations.

Economy to slow considerably this year: PBO

Charges as men drugged, robbed while using escorts

Charges as men drugged, robbed while using escorts
Surrey RCMP says an investigation began after its community response unit linked multiple reports of victims being drugged and robbed. In one case in February 2021, a man died, allegedly after being given a substance during an encounter.

Charges as men drugged, robbed while using escorts