Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Residential schools: Chrétien says he was unaware

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2021 09:53 AM
  • Residential schools: Chrétien says he was unaware

MONTREAL - Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says that when he was in government he was unaware of the abuse that took place in residential schools across the country.

Speaking Sunday on the popular Quebec TV talk show, "Tout le monde en parle,'' Chrétien said the issue was never brought to his attention during his time as Indian affairs minister from 1968 to 1974.

He said he knew residential schools existed and how difficult the experience was, drawing a comparison with his own time in boarding school when he was fed baked beans and oatmeal.

The discovery of hundreds of unmarked graves at residential school sites across Canada over the summer reawakened conversations around the discriminatory system designed to assimilate Indigenous children.

Innu author Michel Jean, another guest on the show, criticized Chrétien's comparison of residential schools to his boarding school experience, saying the former prime minister doesn't understand the abuse Indigenous children experienced.

The 87-year-old Chrétien was invited on the show to talk about his new book.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns
The new Level 3 travel advisory, issued today, marks a quick end to a three-week period when the warning to would-be travellers to Canada had been eased to "exercise increased caution."

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days
84.2% (3,904,121) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 76.4% (3,541,731) received their second dose.

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals
The province is working with the Hospital Employees' Union, health authorities and contractors on its plan, he said. The transition to government employment will end before most of the contracts expire by March, Dix said.

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested
The St. George church was the target of two incidents of arson, the first on July 14, the second on July 19, 2021, that destroyed the church.  Following an investigation by the Surrey RCMP Major Crime Section, a 35-year old woman was arrested on August 26, 2021.

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

Parties pounce on problematic candidates
The Conservatives started the day by questioning tax arrears that Liberal candidate Steven Guilbeault disclosed in a parliamentary ethics filing, which the heritage minister later explained to reporters travelling on the campaign stem from his separation and are being resolved.

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down
Emergency Management BC says 28 orders were in place today, covering more than 3,900 properties, while residents of another 6,255 properties were told to be ready to leave on short notice.    

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down