Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Residential schools: Chrétien says he was unaware

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2021 09:53 AM
  • Residential schools: Chrétien says he was unaware

MONTREAL - Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says that when he was in government he was unaware of the abuse that took place in residential schools across the country.

Speaking Sunday on the popular Quebec TV talk show, "Tout le monde en parle,'' Chrétien said the issue was never brought to his attention during his time as Indian affairs minister from 1968 to 1974.

He said he knew residential schools existed and how difficult the experience was, drawing a comparison with his own time in boarding school when he was fed baked beans and oatmeal.

The discovery of hundreds of unmarked graves at residential school sites across Canada over the summer reawakened conversations around the discriminatory system designed to assimilate Indigenous children.

Innu author Michel Jean, another guest on the show, criticized Chrétien's comparison of residential schools to his boarding school experience, saying the former prime minister doesn't understand the abuse Indigenous children experienced.

The 87-year-old Chrétien was invited on the show to talk about his new book.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held
Emergency Management BC says most of the blazes are in the Kamloops, southeast and Prince George fire centres. It says there are about 35 evacuation orders in place as well as 83 evacuation alerts, which means people should be ready to leave at short notice.

More wildfires in B.C. classified as held

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

867 COVID19 cases for Friday
Three more people have died, while 159 people are in hospital and 84 of those are in intensive care. There are 5,657 active cases in the province and nearly 39 per cent of those are in the Interior Health region, where tougher restrictions were put in place this month.

867 COVID19 cases for Friday

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals
Melanie Mark, the minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says events will be eligible to claim up to $250,000 with applications open until Oct. 1. The money can go toward operational costs, health and safety measures, venue rental, marketing, wages and promotion.

B.C. provides $12.9 million for fairs, festivals

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD
The BC Prosecution Service has approved charges of sexual assault and sexual interference against Sangris, related to an incident on August 13. VPD is continuing to investigate the possibility of any connections between that incident and other unsolved gropings in the area.

Sex charges for man who allegedly assaulted a 12 year old girl in Granville Island Market: VPD

Federal government posts $12.7B deficit for June

Federal government posts $12.7B deficit for June
Program spending, excluding net actuarial losses, totalled $39.1 billion in June, down from $51.3 billion a year earlier. Revenue increased to $29.6 billion for the month, up from $19.9 billion in June last year.

Federal government posts $12.7B deficit for June

Garneau: 500 more Canadians out of Kabul by U.S.

Garneau: 500 more Canadians out of Kabul by U.S.
Canada's military mission in Afghanistan ended that day, leaving an unknown number of Canadians and their families trapped, as well as vulnerable Afghans who fear Taliban reprisals.

Garneau: 500 more Canadians out of Kabul by U.S.