Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Dec, 2023 02:33 PM
  • R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

Newly elected members of the Northwest Territories legislature have chosen their next premier. 

R.J. Simpson, the legislature member for Hay River North, won on the second round of voting Thursday. 

Simpson was first elected to the legislature in 2015, and previously worked with the federal government, Northern Transportation Co. Ltd., Métis Nation Local 51 and Maskwa Engineering. 

He previously held the education, culture, employment and justice portfolios. 

The territory doesn't have political parties. Under its consensus-style government, members run as independents and choose a premier and members of cabinet from among themselves. 

The premier then assigns the ministers their portfolios, and the remaining members function as the Opposition.

The territory's general election, originally set for October, was delayed to Nov. 14 because of wildfires.

During the wildfire season, about 70 per cent of the territory's population was under an evacuation order, including the 20,000 residents of the capital Yellowknife.

Outgoing Premier Caroline Cochrane announced in September that she wasn't running for re-election.

The other members vying for the job of premier were Caroline Wawzonek, Shane Thompson and Kieron Testart. Testart was the runner-up on the second ballot. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers
Under the "recognized employer pilot" program, companies with a good track record would only need to prove that they require temporary foreign workers every three years, instead of every 18 months. n The employer's trusted status would also be flagged to potential workers in the government's job bank.

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

News publishers, broadcasters call for investigation into Meta's news blocking

News publishers, broadcasters call for investigation into Meta's news blocking
Social media giant Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, has said it will begin blocking news on its platforms in Canada starting Tuesday after the Canadian government passed a bill forcing Google and Meta to pay publishers for content they link to or repurpose.  

News publishers, broadcasters call for investigation into Meta's news blocking

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start
The wildfire service says more than 200 of those blazes remain out of control, including a small fire northwest of Princeton that was sparked by a malfunctioning ATV but grew quickly, forcing a speedy but safe evacuation of about 1,000 people at a nearby music festival on Sunday night.

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute
Business groups continued to call on the federal government to take action in the wake of the recently resolved British Columbia port workers dispute on Saturday, arguing Ottawa must ensure such a disruption never happens again. But the federal government is walking a difficult tightrope between the demands of the business community and protecting workers' constitutional rights.

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park
Coquitlam RCMP say they're investigating an altercation between "at least two adult males" in Brookmere Park that occurred around 9:15 in the morning. Investigators say they're looking for more witnesses and any video footage of the altercation, but the nature of what exactly happened remains unknown. 

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks
Bobby-James Lavallee, who is 33, of Prince George, B.C., is charged with attempted murder, four counts of aggravated assault and breaches of conditions. Police are asking for the public’s help to locate the machete as it may still be near the scene.

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks