Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Rogers CEO defends outage response to MPs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jul, 2022 11:56 AM
  • Rogers CEO defends outage response to MPs

UPDATE:

OTTAWA - Telecommunications experts called for scuttling the planned Rogers Communications takeover of rival Shaw, slamming the response of Ottawa and the federal telecom regulator to the serious Rogers outage earlier this month.

The House of Commons industry committee heard testimony Monday on the outage from various experts, as well as Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Rogers executives and Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission officials.

The experts provided a number of policy recommendations, including ways to ensure competition in the industry, and called for the Rogers-Shaw transaction to be blocked.

Rogers is pursuing a $26-billion merger with Shaw, but the deal still requires approval of the Competition Bureau and Champagne's office.

The July 8 outage crippled the Rogers network and affected millions of customers across Canada, including people trying to contact emergency services.

All four experts who testified Monday criticized the CRTC's response to the outage, including its decision to not pursue a full public investigation.

Carleton University communications professor Dwayne Winseck said the CRTC is responsible for the effect of the outage on access to emergency services, adding that "perhaps it should be required to rethink its relatively permissive approach to regulating critical services."

CRTC head Ian Scott was asked during his appearance whether the telecom regulator needs any additional powers.

Scott said he couldn’t think of any provisions that might have prevented the outage. “With respect to network outages and network reliability, I think this is a situation that can be addressed by the industry."

Geist criticized Scott's response.

"It was, I thought, remarkable and exceptionally discouraging to watch the chair of the CRTC come give a virtual shrug when posed with questions about the role that new regulations could play," Geist said.

John Lawford, executive director of the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, said part of the problem with the CRTC is that it does not impose quality of service requirements.

Rogers submitted a letter to the CRTC on Friday, explaining how the outage happened and the degree to which its network was incapacitated.

Scott said the commission is in the process of reviewing the submission and determining next steps.

"Rogers said they will do better. The CRTC will make sure they do," Scott said in his testimony.

Scott said it's still to be determined whether penalties will be imposed, but cautioned that as per current legislation, penalties are meant to encourage compliance rather than be punitive.

Conservative MP Tracy Gray questioned the CRTC officials on their preparation for an outage's affect on 911 calls, given the Rogers lapse limited Canadians' ability to access emergency services.

"It's very difficult to prepare for something that's truly unprecedented," Scott said.

Rogers Communications CEO Tony Staffieri also faced questions Monday from MPs about whether a lack of competition in the telecom sector might have contributed to the massive outage, which came as the company awaits government approvals for its purchase of Shaw.

Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith asked Staffieri whether the concentration of customers in a single company is a challenge to network resiliency.

“We work every day in a very competitive environment and we work hard to bring the best value in money for customers,” Staffieri said.

"You’re saying that with a straight face?” responded Erskine-Smith.

In his opening remarks, Staffieri said the outage reflects a failure on the part of Rogers. “On that day, we failed to deliver on our promise to be Canada's most reliable network."

The CEO further outlined some of the technical causes of the outage and what the company is doing to prevent additional failures, including a plan to separate the wireless and internet networks.

MPs also directed questions to Champagne on government action in response to the outage.

New Democrat MP Brian Masse pressed Champagne about passing legislation to make the internet a public utility, saying that COVID-19 had shown the internet to be an essential service.

Without more government power to regulate the internet, Masse told the committee hearing, “we have to rely on any minister being buddy-buddy with a bunch of CEOs.”

Champagne defended his meeting with the telecom CEOs, and while he did not say whether he would support legislation to make the internet a public utility, he said he was open to working across party lines and taking in the committee's recommendations.

Masse asked Staffieri if he would support a bill of rights for consumers, but the Rogers executive did not answer directly.

“We are very much focused on what we need to do to ensure the resiliency and redundancy of our networks,” Staffieri said.

Champagne said on the day of the outage he contacted Staffieri to inquire about the situation but the conversation was not between a CEO and a cabinet minister. Rather, Champagne was speaking on behalf of Canadians.

EARLIER STORY:

OTTAWA - Rogers Communications Inc. CEO Tony Staffieri faced questions from MPs about whether a lack of competition in the telecom sector might have contributed to the massive Rogers outage earlier this month, which came as the company awaits government approvals for its purchase of Shaw Communications Inc. 

Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith asked Staffieri whether the concentration of customers in one single company is a challenge to network resiliency during a House of Commons Industry committee meeting on Monday.

 “We work every day in a very competitive environment and we work hard to bring the best value in money for customers,” said Staffieri. 

"You’re saying that with a straight face?” responded Erskine-Smith.

 In his opening remarks, Staffieri said the outage reflects a failure on the part of Rogers. 

“On that day, we failed to deliver on our promise to be Canada's most reliable network,” he said.

 The CEO further outlined some of the technical causes of the outage and what the company is doing to prevent additional outages, including a plan to separate the wireless and internet networks.

MPs also directed questions to Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne on government action in response to the outage. 

New Democrat MP Brian Masse pressed Champagne about passing legislation to make the internet a public utility, saying that COVID-19 had proved the internet to be an essential service. 

Without more government power to regulate the internet, Masse told the House of Commons industry committee hearing, “we have to rely on any minister being buddy-buddy with a bunch of CEOs.” 

Champagne defended his meeting with the telecom CEOs and while he did not say whether he would support legislation to make the internet a public utility, he said he was open to working across party lines and taking in the recommendations of the committee. 

Masse also asked Staffieri if he would support a bill of rights for consumers, but the Rogers executive deflected. 

“We are very much focused on what we need to do to ensure the resiliency and redundancy of our networks,” Staffieri said. 

Champagne said on the day of the outage he reached out to Staffieri to inquire about the situation but the conversation was not between a CEO and a cabinet minister, rather Champagne was speaking on behalf of Canadians. 

CRTC officials appeared as well, facing questions about their role in regulating the telecom industry. 

Rogers submitted a letter to the CRTC on Friday, explaining how the outage happened and the degree to which their network was incapacitated.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Liberal asks court to delay leadership result

B.C. Liberal asks court to delay leadership result
Bajwa, a longtime party member and former Surrey mayoral candidate, wants the court to delay announcing the winner of the leadership vote for 15 days in order for the party to provide more details about the audit results and process.

B.C. Liberal asks court to delay leadership result

Significant seizure of guns, drugs, cash and luxury vehicles: Coquitlam RCMP

Significant seizure of guns, drugs, cash and luxury vehicles: Coquitlam RCMP
In September 2020, Coquitlam RCMP received information about an alleged drug trafficking network that prompted the Coquitlam Drugs and Organized Crime Section to start an intensive, in-depth investigation. After a thorough multi-jurisdictional investigation, police obtained seven search warrants that were executed between April and December of 2021.

Significant seizure of guns, drugs, cash and luxury vehicles: Coquitlam RCMP

Canada in talks about adding forces to Europe

Canada in talks about adding forces to Europe
Yet even as the United States became the latest NATO member to commit more forces to the region with the deployment of 3,000 additional troops to Europe, Anand is declining to say when a Canadian decision could come.

Canada in talks about adding forces to Europe

Police expect resurgence in Ottawa protest

Police expect resurgence in Ottawa protest
The police chief said he knows people in Ottawa want to see more enforcement from police officers as protesters continue to cause gridlock in the downtown core near Parliament Hill and put a significant burden on residents and business, many of which have had to shut their doors.

Police expect resurgence in Ottawa protest

Possible contenders for Conservative leadership

Possible contenders for Conservative leadership
Erin O'Toole has been voted out as leader of the Conservative Party of Canada. A look at some potential contenders to replace him. Rona Ambrose- a cabinet minister in the Conservative government of former prime minister Stephen Harper who became interim leader after he lost the 2015 election. 

Possible contenders for Conservative leadership

O'Toole to stay on as MP after losing leadership

O'Toole to stay on as MP after losing leadership
About one-third of the Conservative MPs in caucus triggered a leadership review after weeks of anger and disappointment over his performance since last year's election loss.

O'Toole to stay on as MP after losing leadership