Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Search continues for more bodies in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2021 12:14 PM
  • Search continues for more bodies in B.C.

The Canadian Armed Forces has been called in to help with recovery efforts in flood-stricken B.C., with the provincial government declaring a state of emergency.

The military will provide both air and land support for critical provincial supply chains and in evacuation and rescue efforts.

Premier John Horgan says travel restrictions will be introduced to ensure essential goods and medical and emergency services can reach communities.

Defence Minister Anita Anand says more troops will be sent to help the hardest-hit communities.

Crews will continue to search through debris left by landslides along Highway 99 near Lillooet and Highway 7 near Agassiz to determine if any vehicles were caught underneath.

No bodies were recovered Wednesday, but at least two people are still reported missing.

B.C. Agriculture Minister Lana Popham says thousands of farm animals died when parts of the Fraser Valley flooded, and efforts are underway to develop routes to allow veterinarians to access farms and treat what livestock may have survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa, B.C. reach deal on child-care funding

Ottawa, B.C. reach deal on child-care funding
Trudeau says the agreement stipulates Ottawa will work with the province to reach an average of $10-per-day child care in regulated spaces for children under six years old before 2027.

Ottawa, B.C. reach deal on child-care funding

Wildfire starts unrelenting in British Columbia

Wildfire starts unrelenting in British Columbia
More than two dozen wildfires sparked overnight across British Columbia and the BC Wildfire Service website shows nearly half are believed to have been caused by lightning.

Wildfire starts unrelenting in British Columbia

Youth suffer sustained COVID-19 depression: data

Youth suffer sustained COVID-19 depression: data
Preliminary research suggests the COVID-19 crisis is having a sustained and significant impact on youth mental health in Ontario. Researchers at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children released initial findings Thursday indicating that the majority of children and teenagers saw their mental health decline during the pandemic's second wave.

Youth suffer sustained COVID-19 depression: data

No 'quick fix' to military chopper problem

No 'quick fix' to military chopper problem
Canada’s top military procurement official warns there is no "quick fix" to the software issue identified as the primary cause of last year’s deadly helicopter crash off the coast of Greece, which killed six service members.

No 'quick fix' to military chopper problem

O'Toole heads to Tory heartland in the West

O'Toole heads to Tory heartland in the West
Erin O'Toole is going back to where he started. The Conservative leader is set to travel to Calgary, where the Ontario MP kicked off his bid to win leadership of the federal party in its heartland in January last year.

O'Toole heads to Tory heartland in the West

Fourth wave not inevitable in Canada, doctors say

Fourth wave not inevitable in Canada, doctors say
A fourth wave of COVID-19 now surging across the United Kingdom doesn't have to become a reality in Canada as long as people keep getting vaccinated as quickly as possible, some infectious disease experts say.

Fourth wave not inevitable in Canada, doctors say