Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Search still on for residential school records

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jan, 2023 04:16 PM
  • Search still on for residential school records

VANCOUVER - The woman appointed to work with Indigenous communities as they search for unmarked graves at former residential schools across Canada says the fight is not over for records that could answer "hard questions," including who the missing children were, how they died and where they are buried.

Without records documenting the genocide of Indigenous Peoples, special interlocutor Kimberly Murray said, "deniers will continue to deny" and future generations could be led to forget.

Survivors of the residential institutions have a "right to know," Murray told a national gathering on unmarked burials in Vancouver on Tuesday.

That right is not only individual, but collective, so the country can "draw on the past to prevent future violations," said Murray, who is a member of Kanesatake Mohawk Nation.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said his government is committed to sharing all the information it can possibly find about the institutions in federal records.

Yet Murray said the search is still on for records held by Canadian authorities and churches that operated many of the institutions.

Those records have the potential to help people as they search for missing family members, she said.

"This isn't an academic exercise."

Murray said the records they are trying to obtain affect real people who are searching for information about their grandfathers, their fathers and their children.

"These records can no longer be kept in vaults with colonial institutions controlling who sees them."

A wave of searches at numerous sites of residential institutions across the country followed the Tk’emlups te Secwepemc announcement in May 2021 that more than 200 suspected unmarked graves had been identified on the grounds of the former school in Kamloops, B.C.

A war graves expert had used ground-penetrating radar to detect the graves believed to hold the remains of children who died there.

A month later, Cowessess First Nation in Saskatchewan announced as many as 751 unmarked graves had been found near the former Marieval Indian Residential School, followed by similar findings at former institutions in several provinces.

On Tuesday, the Wauzhushk Onigum Nation in northern Ontario said it had uncovered 171 "plausible burials'' in studies of cemetery grounds at a former residential school site.

The prime minister has said the revelations sparked a reckoning for Canadians about the country's history and relations with Indigenous Peoples.

Rosanne Casimir, the chief of Tk'emlups te Secwepemc, said the announcement in her community was like "ripping a Band-Aid off an old wound."

"So many people have been triggered, re-traumatized," said Casimir, who attended the national gathering on Tuesday.

Casimir said her understanding is that many records related to the Kamloops school have been turned over to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation, yet challenges persist with how that information is shared.

"What's missing is the survivors today and their truth, their history as part of what really happened," she says.

That's why Indigenous sovereignty or control over how residential school records are accessed and used is so important, says Casimir.

She said her community is working with a researcher and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission to compile the information needed for their investigation.

Murray told the crowd that the Truth and Reconciliation Commission has said the most serious gap in knowledge stems from the incompleteness of records.

Many documents from past decades no longer exist, including "200,000 Indian Affairs files" destroyed between 1936 and 1994, she said.

Federal policy in 1935 allowed school returns to be destroyed after five years, while reports of accidents could be destroyed after a decade, she said.

It's also become clear that "many, many, many deaths were not reported" to the former Indian Affairs Department, Murray said.

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has found reports of children's deaths in church records that weren't recorded in government documents, she noted.

In many cases, she said school authorities appear not to have recognized their responsibility under provincial laws to report deaths to vital statistics officials.

While records are crucial, Murray added "there is nothing more powerful than the first-hand accounts from the survivors" of residential institutions.

"They are the witnesses themselves."

A 4,000-page report released by the National Truth and Reconciliation Commission in 2015 detailed harsh mistreatment at the schools, including emotional, physical and sexual abuse of children, and at least 4,100 deaths at the institutions.

Murray said the number of children who died will likely never be known in full.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds to permanently end interest on student loans

Feds to permanently end interest on student loans
Interest rates will still apply on the provincial portion of a student’s loan. While this move is helpful for students graduating, said Rebekah Young, director of fiscal and provincial economics at Scotiabank, it is ultimately relief for interest payments on debt rather than money toward tuition or other post-secondary school expenses.

Feds to permanently end interest on student loans

Care home changes aim to give families more say

Care home changes aim to give families more say
Mable Elmore, parliamentary secretary for senior services, says changes to the residential care regulation will strengthen the voices of resident and family councils. The councils, which she likened to residential stratas, are groups of people who meet regularly to promote the collective interests of residents and discuss concerns.

Care home changes aim to give families more say

Five highlights from the fall fiscal update

Five highlights from the fall fiscal update
The word “inflation” appears more than 100 times in the document, making clear the government's primary economic concern. But beyond the top-line debt projections and the analysis of how Canada seeks to soften the impact of a potential recession, the fiscal update offers key details that shed light on Liberal priorities.  

Five highlights from the fall fiscal update

Man dies in B.C. prison 40 years after sentencing

Man dies in B.C. prison 40 years after sentencing
Darcy Sidoruk was 18 years old in 1982 when he pleaded guilty and was sentenced for the shooting two years earlier of family friend Yvonne Doucette in Dawson Creek. Sidoruk also admitted to shooting 19-year-old James Pitt, who picked him up hitchhiking outside Dawson Creek, shortly after the murder of Doucette.

Man dies in B.C. prison 40 years after sentencing

VPD investigate that city's 10 homicide after man dies due to stabbing

VPD investigate that city's 10 homicide after man dies due to stabbing
According to police, a witness called 9-1-1 around 9:45 p.m. to report a man had been attacked near Renfrew and Graveley streets. The 37-year-old victim was taken to hospital where he died of his injuries. No arrests have been made and a suspect has not been located.

VPD investigate that city's 10 homicide after man dies due to stabbing

Indian-origin MP ushers in Hindu Heritage Month in Canada

Indian-origin MP ushers in Hindu Heritage Month in Canada
Indian-origin MP Chandra Arya marked Canada's first Hindu Heritage Month beginning frorm November to acknowledge and celebrate contributions made by Hindus to make the country strong and prosperous.  The Canadian House of Commons had passed a unanimous resolution moved by Arya earlier this year to have November proclaimed as the Hindu Heritage Month.

Indian-origin MP ushers in Hindu Heritage Month in Canada