Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

School bus crash near Mission

School bus crash near Mission
Police say the driver of a pickup truck was airlifted to hospital after a head-on crash with a school bus outside Mission, BC, yesterday. RCMP say the truck was travelling west when it reportedly entered the opposite land and collided with the bus.

School bus crash near Mission

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe
Mounties in B.C.'s Lower Mainland say a months-long trafficking investigation spanned multiple cities and led to the seizure of significant quantities of illicit drugs, along with guns and $500,000 in cash. A statement from Chilliwack RCMP says police searched locations including an apartment in downtown Chilliwack, a home in Vancouver's Collingwood area, two residences in Langley's Willowbrook neighbourhood as well as three in Surrey.

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud
A former Montreal resident has been sentenced to 10 years in a United States federal prison for a multi-decade fraud that manipulated more than one million Americans into sending money to fake psychics.  The U.S. Justice Department says Patrice Runner, 57, stole more than $175 million from 1.3 million people in the U.S. between 1994 and 2014.

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud

All federal ministers will participate in process to find 5,000 jobs to cut: Anand

All federal ministers will participate in process to find 5,000 jobs to cut: Anand
Treasury Board President Anita Anand says no government ministry and agency will be left out of the process of cutting 5,000 public-service positions. The 2024 budget, tabled Tuesday, says 5,000 positions will be cut through natural attrition, which is expected to save $4.2 billion over five years. The main union representing federal workers is raising concerns.

All federal ministers will participate in process to find 5,000 jobs to cut: Anand

YVR named best airport in North America

YVR named best airport in North America
The Vancouver International Airport has won the title of best airport in North America at an international award ceremony in Germany.  The airport says it took the prize at the Skytrax World Airport Awards held in Frankfurt. 

YVR named best airport in North America

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters
Police in Prince George say fraudsters are posing as Northern Health employees and going door to door.  R-C-M-P say they're investigating reports of people claiming to be Northern Health or Fire Smart employees, two weeks after the health authority warned the public about fraudulent phone calls promising prizes or a free home safety inspection. 

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters