Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle
A 24-year-old pedestrian struck by a vehicle last week in Burnaby has died. Police say the woman was hit the night of Dec. 17 and taken to hospital in critical condition where she later died.

24-year-old woman in Burnaby dies after being hit by vehicle

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster
A forecaster says ripe avalanche conditions are expected to persist across much of British Columbia for the rest of the week. Large swaths of the province, stretching from the coast to the Alberta boundary, are under "considerable" or "moderate" avalanche danger warnings.

Ripe avalanche conditions for parts of B.C. expected to persist this week: forecaster

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast
The ferry firm said the "severe" forecast meant all sailings between Tsawwassen and Duke Point in Nanaimo on Wednesday had to be axed, while trips between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. were also scrapped.

Wild Christmas: BC Ferries cancels many sailings over 'severe' forecast

Fake banker scam in Burnaby

Fake banker scam in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby are asking for the public's help identifying a suspect believed to have defrauded a senior of thousands of dollars by posing as a bank employee. Police say they received a report in September saying a man called the victim and was able to obtain their date of birth and passwords.

Fake banker scam in Burnaby

Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike

Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike
Canada's premiers are calling on the federal government to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February. Ontario Premier Doug Ford made the request in a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Tuesday, sent in his capacity as chair of the Council of the Federation.

Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike

Man dead after Mounties attempt arrest

Man dead after Mounties attempt arrest
RCMP say a man died after officers tried to arrest him on outstanding warrants near Edmonton. Police were called Monday to a rural home southeast of the city in Beaver County.

Man dead after Mounties attempt arrest