Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh says Ottawa must move to counter hate groups

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Nov, 2020 11:23 PM
  • Singh says Ottawa must move to counter hate groups

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says the Liberal government must do more to tackle the growing threat of hate groups.

The past five years have seen a proliferation of neo-Nazi groups and online content from the so-called alt-right, a white nationalist movement, with experts saying the number of hate groups in Canada has tripled to 300 since 2015.

Fatal attacks, including at a Toronto mosque in September and the Quebec City mosque shooting in 2017, make demands for a federal response all the more urgent, Singh said.

"Radicalized white supremacists, neo-Nazis, the alt-right have resulted in the deaths of people," he said, highlighting the threat to Canada's Muslim, Jewish, Sikh and racialized communities.

"Mothers talk to me of the fear they have for their kids going out into the community, worried about the violence they might face."

At a virtual meeting with advocates Tuesday, Singh endorsed an action plan by the National Council of Canadian Muslims calling for federal legislation that would allow authorities to shut down white supremacist organizations that do not meet the threshold for a militia or terrorist entity.

The plan also demands authorities move more proactively to dismantle hate groups under existing provisions of the Anti-terrorism Act and the Criminal Code.

Bernie Farber, chair of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, says national law enforcement agencies need to establish dedicated anti-hate crime divisions.

"Right now it is in my view one of the most dangerous times in Canadian history when it comes to extreme right-wing violence," said Farber, former head of the Canadian Jewish Congress, which disbanded in 2011.

Twenty-two people have been killed as a result of right-wing radicalization over the past four years, he said, including the 10 who died during the van attack in Toronto two years ago.

The trial for Alek Minassian, who told police he planned and carried out the attack in April 2018 but has pleaded not criminally responsible, began via video conference Tuesday.

Minassian told interrogators he corresponded before the attack with two mass murderers motivated by the misogynist "incel" culture propagated by males claiming to be "involuntary celibate."

Hate groups and white supremacist ideas are "wildly enabled" by mainstream social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter and message boards like 8chan, but also fringe platforms including Gab, Telegram and Parler, says Barbara Perry of the Centre on Hate, Bias and Extremism.

“We’re also seeing a lot more of what I’ve been calling floaters — people who don’t necessarily affiliate with any particular group but, given the availability of online venues, sort of move in and out of social media platforms, cherry-picking narratives that seem to fit their own grievances or their own lot in life," Perry said in a phone interview.

Advocates including Perry and the national Muslim council met virtually with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair and Diversity Minister Bardish Chagger on Monday evening to discuss possible steps.

Anti-Semitic incidents have been on the rise since 2016, exceeding 2,200 last year, according to advocacy group B'nai Brith Canada.

Liberal MP Anthony Housefather said most of them begin online.

He and Conservative MP Marty Morantz are part of a task force launched this fall that includes politicians from Australia, Israel, the United Kingdom and the United States who aim to push their legislatures to pass similar laws and collectively pressure web companies to act.

"Ayatollah (Ali) Khamenei, the supreme leader of Iran, has tweeted vile anti-Semitic content multiple times in the past month, and Twitter has not flagged it," Housefather said in a phone interview.

He said companies should work harder to contextualize or remove hateful posts.

The Inter-Parliamentary Task Force to Combat Online Antisemitism was scheduled to host its first virtual briefing with community organizations Tuesday evening.

Monday and Tuesday marked the anniversary of Kristallnacht — also known as the "Night of Broken Glass" — a 1938 pogrom against Jews in Nazi Germany that saw scores of civilians killed, stores and synagogues smashed and thousands rounded up for concentration camps.

MORE National ARTICLES

Greens to announce new leader Oct. 3

Greens to announce new leader Oct. 3
Eight people made the final ballot this week, meeting a Tuesday deadline to submit the final entrance fees and 150 additional signatures from party members.

Greens to announce new leader Oct. 3

Population of at-risk species declining: WWF

Population of at-risk species declining: WWF
The WWF study used data representing thousands of wildlife populations from more than 800 species of animals, including mammals, birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles.

Population of at-risk species declining: WWF

Trudeau promises to keep up softwood fight

Trudeau promises to keep up softwood fight
"Canada is doing the right things and the United States is wrong," Trudeau said of the decision.

Trudeau promises to keep up softwood fight

Class action sought against ex-hockey coach's estate

Class action sought against ex-hockey coach's estate
The class action targets Lamarre's estate and the city of Longueuil, located on Montreal's south shore. The allegations have not been proven in court.

Class action sought against ex-hockey coach's estate

O'Toole names Bergen deputy Tory leader

O'Toole names Bergen deputy Tory leader
Bergen was first elected in 2008 and was a junior cabinet minister in Stephen Harper's government.

O'Toole names Bergen deputy Tory leader

Canada mulls global vaccine contribution

Canada mulls global vaccine contribution
President Donald Trump ended U.S. funding to the WHO in July because he says it is being unduly influenced by China and needs to be reformed.

Canada mulls global vaccine contribution