Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Heat contributes to 719 deaths in just over a week in BC, 3 times the actual number of deaths that would take place in a week

Heat contributes to 719 deaths in just over a week in BC, 3 times the actual number of deaths that would take place in a week
719 sudden and unexpected deaths have been reported in the province during the historic heat wave, and that number over a seven-day period is unprecedented. Lisa Lapointe says the number of fatalities is three times more than what would normally occur during the same period.

Heat contributes to 719 deaths in just over a week in BC, 3 times the actual number of deaths that would take place in a week

Peace Arch Hospital to go on temporary diversion for maternity patients

Peace Arch Hospital to go on temporary diversion for maternity patients
In response to a temporary gap in pediatrician coverage at Peace Arch Hospital, Fraser Health is asking pregnant individuals requiring labour and delivery support to not proceed to the hospital during the period of July 8th to July 19th.

Peace Arch Hospital to go on temporary diversion for maternity patients

84 COVID19 cases over 2 days

84 COVID19 cases over 2 days
78.7% of all adults in B.C. and 77.5% of those 12 and older have now received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. In addition, 35.2% of all adults in B.C. and 32.9% of those 12 and older have received their second dose.

84 COVID19 cases over 2 days

Two feared dead in B.C. wildfire: coroner

Two feared dead in B.C. wildfire: coroner
Lisa Lapointe told a news conference Friday that a team is standing by to conduct an investigation in order to confirm the deaths, but it's not yet safe to enter the area.

Two feared dead in B.C. wildfire: coroner

Feds keeping close eye on rapid-housing revamp

Feds keeping close eye on rapid-housing revamp
The $1 billion the Liberals set aside in the fall for the rapid-housing program went faster than the timelines to get units built. The combined value of all applications the government received amounted to about $4 billion, with hundreds left unfunded.

Feds keeping close eye on rapid-housing revamp

Telus sets up mobile cell tower for Lytton area

Telus sets up mobile cell tower for Lytton area
Telus Corp. says its has deployed emergency communications equipment to support local authorities and emergency crews dealing with the wildfire in Lytton, B.C. Telus is the main wireless provider for the Lytton area, where about 1,000 people fled to safety after the emergency evacuation order was issued this week.

Telus sets up mobile cell tower for Lytton area