Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada might lack full pandemic record: info czar

Canada might lack full pandemic record: info czar
In her annual report tabled in Parliament today, information commissioner Caroline Maynard says working remotely has meant using different tools, such as online meeting technology and instant messaging.

Canada might lack full pandemic record: info czar

Former Liberal MP in conflict for hiring sister

Former Liberal MP in conflict for hiring sister
Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion says former Liberal MP Yasmin Ratansi violated Parliament's conflict of interest code when she hired her sister in her constituency office.

Former Liberal MP in conflict for hiring sister

Aritzia signs deal to buy Reigning Champ

Aritzia signs deal to buy Reigning Champ
Under the agreement, Aritzia will acquire a 75 per cent stake in the company based on an enterprise value of approximately $63 million.

Aritzia signs deal to buy Reigning Champ

277 COVID19 cases over 3 days

277 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There have been 4 new COVID-19 related deaths over a 3 day period, for a total of 1,734 deaths in British Columbia. 75.9% of all adults in B.C. and 74.1% of those 12 and older have now received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. 

277 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Vancouver residents could be paying up to $1000 for parking permits for new vehicles

Vancouver residents could be paying up to $1000 for parking permits for new vehicles
An annual pollution charge the city’s “Climate Emergency Parking Program” proposes Vancouverites who own a 2023 or newer “high-polluting” vehicle — described as a gas-powered luxury sports car, large SUV or full-size pickup truck — would be charged $1,000 per year to get a residential parking permit.

Vancouver residents could be paying up to $1000 for parking permits for new vehicles

Canada wants 'robust' COVID-19 probe: Hajdu

Canada wants 'robust' COVID-19 probe: Hajdu
The federal government wants a "robust" and ongoing investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus, Health Minister Patty Hajdu said in the House of Commons Monday ahead of an expected grilling by MPs examining Canada's relationship with China.

Canada wants 'robust' COVID-19 probe: Hajdu