Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver police officer Const. Arminder Singh Gill charged with assault

Vancouver police officer Const. Arminder Singh Gill charged with assault
A Vancouver police officer faces an assault charge. The BC Prosecution Service issued a statement Friday saying the charge has been approved against Const. Arminder Singh Gill.

Vancouver police officer Const. Arminder Singh Gill charged with assault

Some J&J vaccine doses can be used, but many must be tossed

U.S. regulators are allowing the release of about 10 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine from a troubled Baltimore factory, but many more doses can't be used and must be thrown out.

Some J&J vaccine doses can be used, but many must be tossed

180 COVID19 cases for Friday

180 COVID19 cases for Friday
Milestone for BC.  75.1% of all adults in the province  and 73.1% of those 12 and older have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. In total, 3,893,581 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 497,932 of which are second doses.

180 COVID19 cases for Friday

People's Party leader arrested in Manitoba

People's Party leader arrested in Manitoba
RCMP say Maxime Bernier was charged with exceeding public gathering limits and violating Manitoba's requirement to self-isolate upon entering the province.

People's Party leader arrested in Manitoba

Canada to contribute 'up to' 100 million doses

Canada to contribute 'up to' 100 million doses
In discussing the conversation between Trudeau and Johnson, Canada's high commissioner the United Kingdom confirmed it would contribute "up to" 100 million doses to the global vaccination effort.

Canada to contribute 'up to' 100 million doses

B.C. to launch skilled trades certification

B.C. to launch skilled trades certification
Premier John Horgan says he recognizes that it will be a big change for workers and employers and the transformation won't happen overnight.

B.C. to launch skilled trades certification