Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Mother of London attack suspect prays for victims

Mother of London attack suspect prays for victims
The mother of the man accused of driving down and killing a Muslim family in London, Ont., says she is "grieved by the horrific tragedy."

Mother of London attack suspect prays for victims

Canada alone in vaccine vagueness as G7 begins

Canada alone in vaccine vagueness as G7 begins
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is hosting the G7 leaders for a three-day summit, taking place in the southwest village of Carbis Bay — bustling with police and summit officials — where the focus is on ending the health crisis, now in its second year.

Canada alone in vaccine vagueness as G7 begins

Victoria scraps Canada Day broadcast

Victoria scraps Canada Day broadcast
City councillors in Victoria have voted unanimously to cancel a planned Canada Day broadcast in order to permit a "thoughtful reflection" of what it means to be Canadian.

Victoria scraps Canada Day broadcast

Father of alleged London attacker expresses sorrow

Father of alleged London attacker expresses sorrow
The deadly attack against a Muslim family in southwestern Ontario was "a senseless act," the father of the man accused in what police believe was a deliberate hate crime said Thursday.

Father of alleged London attacker expresses sorrow

Search for potential GG candidates finished

Search for potential GG candidates finished
Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc says a short list of potential candidates to become Canada's next governor general will be in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's hands in "the next few days."

Search for potential GG candidates finished

Alberta says Keystone loss 'calculated decision'

Alberta says Keystone loss 'calculated decision'
Alberta’s finance minister says the province's $1.3-billion investment of taxpayers’ money in the now-defunct Keystone XL oil pipeline project was a prudent gamble given the potential payoff in profits and jobs.

Alberta says Keystone loss 'calculated decision'