Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada, Alberta pursue $1.3B hydrogen plant

Canada, Alberta pursue $1.3B hydrogen plant
The federal and Alberta governments are signing an agreement that could lead to a plant to produce hydrogen built near Edmonton. The governments say they're working with Air Products Canada to build the $1.3-billon plant, which would produce the clean-burning fuel from natural gas.

Canada, Alberta pursue $1.3B hydrogen plant

Prosecutors need time for terror charge: experts

Prosecutors need time for terror charge: experts
Legal experts say it's probably too early for terror charges to be laid because investigators need sufficient evidence of motive. But the experts also expressed concern that prosecutors in Canada usually reserve terror charges for people with Islamist extremist views, which they say sends the message the law isn't being applied equally.

Prosecutors need time for terror charge: experts

Three vehicle collision lands 2 in hospital: Maple Ridge RCMP

Three vehicle collision lands 2 in hospital: Maple Ridge RCMP
Ridge Meadows RCMP frontline officers responded overnight to a collision involving 3 vehicles. 

Three vehicle collision lands 2 in hospital: Maple Ridge RCMP

Vancouver Police warns public about an indecent act at a Downtown school

Vancouver Police warns public about an indecent act at a Downtown school
An unknown man approached an 8 year-old female student on the playground at Lord Roberts Elementary School near Bidwell and Pendrell streets on June 7 between 2 and 2:30 p.m. and exposed his genitals to her. The suspect left the area before police arrived.

Vancouver Police warns public about an indecent act at a Downtown school

165 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

165 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are currently 2,051 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. Of the active cases, 203 individuals are currently hospitalized, 57 of whom are in ICU. 

165 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

New permanent residency paths for Hong Kongers

New permanent residency paths for Hong Kongers
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says Canada is offering two new paths to permanent residency for Hong Kong residents who work here or are recent graduates already living in the country.

New permanent residency paths for Hong Kongers