Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Some Tory and Liberal MPs want Bill 21 challenged

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Dec, 2021 02:28 PM
  • Some Tory and Liberal MPs want Bill 21 challenged

OTTAWA - The Liberal government and opposition Conservatives are facing calls from within to mount a more direct challenge to Quebec's controversial secularism law, after a teacher was removed from the classroom for wearing a hijab.

Federal parties and their MPs have spent the past week reacting to the law, known as Bill 21, which bans some public servants deemed to be in positions of authority, such as teachers, judges and police officers, from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The law was passed in 2019, but received renewed attention outside Quebec last week after news broke that Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because she wore a hijab.

One of the federal politicians calling for a more forceful condemnation of the law was Conservative MP Mark Strahl, a representative from British Columbia.

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole has said that while he personally opposes the measure, he believes it's one that Quebecers alone must deal with.

But Strahl said he thinks "some issues transcend jurisdiction."

The MP says he thinks Conservatives should re-examine their stance, which he said is unclear, and be prepared to challenge the law in court.

"We can't let laws like that go unchallenged," he told reporters before heading into the Tories' national caucus meeting Wednesday, where he said the issue would be raised.

"It's a position that's shared by many, many of my colleagues."

Despite the wish from some to adopt a tougher stand, O'Toole and other members of his Quebec caucus left the meeting saying nothing had changed.

On his way out O'Toole, speaking in French, reiterated his opposition to the law and says Conservatives must speak as a team on important issues.

As for the Liberals, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has not ruled out federal intervention from his government when it comes to the law. And on Tuesday, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh shifted from his earlier stance to say he would support Ottawa stepping into a court challenge.

Liberal MP Salma Zahid, who wears a hijab, issued a statement this week saying it was time for Ottawa to join the legal challenge against the law mounted by the National Council of Canadian Muslims and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.

"This cannot be allowed to stand unchallenged," she said.

"To date, the challenge has come from civil society. But as the party that brought the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to Canada, as a government that champions human rights around the world, we cannot allow the weight of this fight to be carried by civil society alone."

Montreal Liberal MP Anthony Housefather alsosaid this week he wants a national debate on the use of and rules around the notwithstanding clause, which Quebec Premier François Legault pre-emptively invoked to stave off any claims the provincial law violates the Charter.

It's a conversation others have suggested is long overdue, four decades after the clause was created as part of constitutional talks. Housefather said the discussion should include whether the clause can be invoked without an actual court challenge of the law in question, as Legault did when Bill 21 was passed.

Newly elected Ottawa Liberal MP Jenna Sudds had similar sentiments in a statement she issued on the secularism law. She called it "a manifestation of intolerant and xenophobic sentiments" that may need federal intervention.

"Canadian governments at all levels have an unwavering commitment to the principles of freedom of religion and expression," she said. "We cannot in good conscience stand idly by and allow this bill to go unchallenged, for what we permit, we promote."

MORE National ARTICLES

Peace Arch Duty Free shop open now open for shopping after being closed over a year due to COVID19

Peace Arch Duty Free shop open now open for shopping after being closed over a year due to COVID19
The Canadian government on Monday, August 9th, amended the travel restrictions allowing all Americans who are fully vaccinated to enter Canada. The company expects to welcome American visitors at this time.

Peace Arch Duty Free shop open now open for shopping after being closed over a year due to COVID19

New draft plan envisions the future of Fleetwood supported by SkyTrain

New draft plan envisions the future of Fleetwood supported by SkyTrain
The area will be home to three future SkyTrain stations, including 152 Street, 160 Street and 166 Street. The plan will support the extension of the Expo Line SkyTrain to Langley and will better connect Fleetwood with the rest of Surrey and the Lower Mainland. 

New draft plan envisions the future of Fleetwood supported by SkyTrain

513 COVID19 cases for Thursday

513 COVID19 cases for Thursday
83.1% (3,596,148) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 73.3% (3,168,620) received their second dose.    

513 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Balbir Brar

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Balbir Brar
UPDATE: Surrey RCMP are providing an update that the 64-year-old man reported missing on August 12, 2021, was located deceased. Criminality is not believed to be a factor in the male’s death and the investigation is being turned over to BC Coroner Service.  

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Balbir Brar

Surrey RCMP want the public's help in locating missing person- Andrea Gus

Surrey RCMP want the public's help in locating missing person- Andrea Gus
On August 8, 2021, Andrea Gus was reported missing by a family member. Andrea has been contact with family since the initial report, but has not responded to messages since August 10, 2021. 

Surrey RCMP want the public's help in locating missing person- Andrea Gus

Singh stresses affordability in pre-campaign pitch

Singh stresses affordability in pre-campaign pitch
Universal pharmacare and dental care, a $20 minimum wage and student debt cancellation comprise part of the proto-platform, which Singh labels his "commitments for a New Deal for people" in a not-so-subtle nod to the state-led progressivism of former U.S. president Franklin Roosevelt.

Singh stresses affordability in pre-campaign pitch