Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2023 01:18 PM
  • Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - Bus service across most of B.C.'s Fraser Valley, from Abbotsford to Hope, has been halted by a strike.

More than 200 members of CUPE Local 561 walked off the job, affecting all bus service in Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope, although essential HandiDart trips can still be booked.

The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.

Talks between the two sides collapsed last week and the union says BC Transit and its private operator, First Transit, have refused to consider union proposals on wages or pensions.

Picket lines went up Monday at locations around Abbotsford and Chilliwack, as well as the West Coast Express train station in Mission and at the Burnaby bus loop where the Fraser Valley Express bus from Chilliwack makes its final stop.

A statement from BC Transit says it is watching the situation carefully and will update customers when more information is available, but it says the dispute is between First Transit and the CUPE workers.

MORE National ARTICLES

Industry could have role in national dental plan

Industry could have role in national dental plan
The Liberals set aside $5.3 billion over the next five years to launch a dental care program for uninsured low- and middle-income families. They have committed to starting with kids under the age of 12 in households with an annual income of less than $90,000 by the end of this year, with plans to extend coverage to under-18-year-olds, seniors, and persons living with disabilities in 2023.

Industry could have role in national dental plan

WATCH: Darpan Magazine showcases spectacular events in the Lower Mainland

WATCH: Darpan Magazine showcases spectacular events in the Lower Mainland
The events around town featured the best of what the City of Vancouver has to offer in terms of entertainment, culture, music and much more.  

WATCH: Darpan Magazine showcases spectacular events in the Lower Mainland

3 people dead in morning Langley shooting including gunman, shootings lasted 6 hours

3 people dead in morning Langley shooting including gunman, shootings lasted 6 hours
While police have said they are working to confirm if the victims were homeless, the attack is also drawing calls from advocates to reduce discrimination against the vulnerable population and increase safety. Two people were killed in the attacks and two others were seriously injured before the police fatally shot the suspect.

3 people dead in morning Langley shooting including gunman, shootings lasted 6 hours

Gursimran Sahota and Tanvir Khakh of Surrey arrested and charged in Whistler shooting

Gursimran Sahota and Tanvir Khakh of Surrey arrested and charged in Whistler shooting
IHIT investigators and its partners worked continuously in processing the scene and collecting the appropriate evidence to secure these charges. 3 other individuals were arrested along with Khakh and Sahota. The extent of their involvement is still being determined.  

Gursimran Sahota and Tanvir Khakh of Surrey arrested and charged in Whistler shooting

Pope sorry for assimilation of Indigenous people

Pope sorry for assimilation of Indigenous people
The Pope said he feels sorrow, indignation and shame. He said begging forgiveness is the first step and there must be a serious investigation into what took place. Francis also called the overall effects of the policies linked to residential schools "catastrophic."

Pope sorry for assimilation of Indigenous people

Rogers CEO defends outage response to MPs

Rogers CEO defends outage response to MPs
The CEO further outlined some of the technical causes of the outage and what the company is doing to prevent additional outages, including a plan to separate the wireless and internet networks.  MPs also directed questions to Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne on government action in response to the outage.     

Rogers CEO defends outage response to MPs