Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:33 PM
  • Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors.

Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

She says in a statement the top court decision reaffirms B.C.'s commitment to holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for their role in the opioid crisis, which was declared a public health emergency in the province in April 2016.

The court had already affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing B.C. to pursue a class-action lawsuit on behalf of other Canadian governments last November.

That's after several opioid companies argued in B.C. Supreme Court that the province was overstepping its authority under the constitution.

But a majority of the top court found that B.C.'s law respects the legislative authority of other Canadian governments, which can choose to opt out of the proceeding, and the decision noted that nearly every province and territory as well as the federal government intended to take part in the class-action.

Sharma says the class-action's certification marks a "significant milestone" in the proceedings that date back to 2018, when the province first launched the lawsuit.

"Our goal was clear: to recover the health-care costs of treating opioid-related harms and to hold manufacturers and distributors accountable for their role in allegedly using deceptive marketing practices to drive sales, contributing to addiction and overdose rates in the country," she says.

The most recent data from the B.C. Coroners Service released in December says in the first 10 months of last year there were 1,925 overdose deaths, marking a nine per cent decrease from the same time period in 2023.

Canadian government statistics say there were more than 49,000 opioid toxicity deaths reported between January 2016 and June 2024 across the country. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges
On May 4 of last year Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a sexual assault.  On July 2nd, 59-year-old Ajastar Singh was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under the age of 16 years.

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday
A Calgary official says the city is set to announce Monday whether it's ready to lift its mandatory ban on outdoor watering. The ban has been in place since a major water feeder main burst on June 5.

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote
A shakeup of seismic proportions is reshaping the British Columbia political landscape a little over three months ahead of this fall's Oct. 19 election. Former political foes are forging once unimaginable unions, an established party faces annihilation at the ballot box and heavyweights from the ruling New Democrats have waited until summer to announce their retirements.

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Drivers reminded of road safety

Drivers reminded of road safety
The B-C Coroners Service is reminding drivers of a number of safety tips after a week that saw several fatal crashes in the province. It says there were 19 accidental deaths due to motor vehicle crashes between July 5th and 10th, with 12 of those deaths happening in three of the incidents.

Drivers reminded of road safety

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria
A man has been charged after a paramedic was assaulted while responding to a call in Victoria. City police say it happened last night when a man began hitting and kicking a paramedic in the face as they tried to medically assist him.

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister
Defence Minister Bill Blair is defending Canada's spending promise at the NATO leaders' summit in Washington, D.C., as critics throw cold water on the government's new pledge to meet the two per cent target by 2032. "That number didn’t sort of just come out of the air," Blair said Friday after returning to Toronto. "It came out of a lot of hard work."

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister