Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner Won’t Seek Reelection

Darpan News Desk, 10 Apr, 2018 07:52 PM
    Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner, who is in her first term as mayor, will not be running for re-election in October’s municipal elections.
     
     
    According to the statement, after some soul searching, Hepner realized that she needed to make her family a higher priority than the city. 
     
     
    “For 33 years the City of Surrey has been a chosen priority in my life and I have been honoured to serve the people of this city,” she said.
     
    “During my time with Surrey, the city has evolved from a modest suburb into the region’s second metropolitan centre and a globally recognized leading-edge city. I am very proud to have contributed to this transformation, but there will always be more to do, more to achieve and, therefore, there is never an ideal time to leave.
     
     

    Over the last 33 years I have had the honour and privilege to serve the people of Surrey as we transformed into one of...

    Posted by Linda Hepner on Wednesday, 11 April 2018
     
     
    “I have thought long and hard about this and it has not been an easy decision to make, but I sincerely believe that now is the right time to dedicate more time to my family and friends.”
     
     
    She thanked city staff and the citizens of Surrey for their work, support and trust.
     
     
    "I look forward to serving out my term as Mayor as we finalize the largest investment in transportation and housing in the City’s history. In my more than three decades at the City of Surrey, I have had the pleasure to work with remarkable people at all levels and I have made many friends along the way. 
     
     
    "To all the staff at the City, I want to thank you for the exceptional work you have done and continue to do. Finally, I want to give my heartfelt thanks to the people of Surrey for their ongoing trust and support. It has been an honour and privilege to serve you and the City of Surrey."
     
     
    In January, Vancouver's Gregor Robertson announced he'd be stepping down after serving three terms in office.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh Announces Investigation Into Harassment Allegation Involving MP Erin Weir

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh Announces Investigation Into Harassment Allegation Involving MP Erin Weir
    He says an independent investigator has been appointed to look into the allegation and that while Weir will remain a member of the NDP caucus, his duties will be curtailed pending the outcome.

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh Announces Investigation Into Harassment Allegation Involving MP Erin Weir

    B.C.'s Senior's Advocate Says Elderly Still Not Receiving Minimum Hours Of Care

    Isobel Mackenzie says provincial guidelines require 3.36 hours of daily direct care services such as bathing or therapy for each senior but data shows just 15 per cent of all facilities met that standard last year.

    B.C.'s Senior's Advocate Says Elderly Still Not Receiving Minimum Hours Of Care

    'Grind Yourself, Go Kill Him': Telus Sorry For Badly Translated French Tweets

    Telus's Francois Gratton released a statement apologizing to all the country's francophone population, and stating the tweets should never have been posted.

    'Grind Yourself, Go Kill Him': Telus Sorry For Badly Translated French Tweets

    New BC App Alerts Bystanders Trained In CPR To Nearby Cardiac Arrests

    New BC App Alerts Bystanders Trained In CPR To Nearby Cardiac Arrests
    B.C. has launched the first provincewide smartphone app aimed at turning bystanders into potential lifesavers of heart attack victims.

    New BC App Alerts Bystanders Trained In CPR To Nearby Cardiac Arrests

    Shooting At Chilliwack Home, Believed To Be Targeted, Kills 1 Man

    Shooting At Chilliwack Home, Believed To Be Targeted, Kills 1 Man
      Police Says 28-year-old Was Found With Gunshot Wounds And Later Died Hospital

    Shooting At Chilliwack Home, Believed To Be Targeted, Kills 1 Man

    Grande Prairie Man, 34, Charged After Teenage Boys Lured Over Social Media

    Grande Prairie Man, 34, Charged After Teenage Boys Lured Over Social Media
    Police say an Alberta man accused of posing as a teenage girl to lure teenage boys on social media has also lived in Kelowna.

    Grande Prairie Man, 34, Charged After Teenage Boys Lured Over Social Media