Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Talks fail to avert Vancouver transit strike, paralyzing bus and SeaBus service

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2024 10:56 AM
  • Talks fail to avert Vancouver transit strike, paralyzing bus and SeaBus service

Metro Vancouver has been left without most bus services and SeaBus after weekend talks between transit supervisors and the Coast Mountain Bus Company broke down without a deal.

TransLink says bus routes operated by Coast Mountain stopped running at 1 a.m. and SeaBus sailings for the morning have also been cancelled.

The SkyTrain, West Coast Express, HandyDART and a handful of bus routes remain operational, although TransLink warns services will be busier than usual.

The 48-hour shutdown of Coast Mountain routes representing 96 per cent of the region's bus services comes after talks involving a mediator ended without an agreement.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4500, representing more than 180 supervisors, says pickets are planned at transit centres in Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby and Port Coquitlam, as well as at the SeaBus terminal in North Vancouver.

Both Vancouver International Airport and BC Ferries have warned passengers that transit to and from terminals could be delayed due to the strike action.

"We regret these disruptions and the challenges this will cause for the people we serve every day,” says CUPE 4500 spokesman Liam O'Neill in a statement.

“But Coast Mountain could have avoided this. Instead, they put us and, through their inflexibility, transit users in this situation.”

TransLink says it expects bus and SeaBus services to resume Wednesday.

Unions representing other transit workers have said they will not cross picket lines, and CUPE 4500 says it may seek to picket additional sites such as SkyTrain facilities if the Labour Relations Board allows them.

Coast Mountain president Michael McDaniel says the union has refused to adjust its demand for wage increases despite efforts to reach a compromise.

"CMBC offered increased overtime pay, improved benefits, and committed to hiring more supervisors," McDaniel says in a statement. "Unfortunately, the union again refused the improved offer. This is unacceptable and unreasonable."

McDaniel said last week that the union was seeking a 25 per cent wage increase.

The union says members need wage gaps with other TransLink supervisors closed before any lasting settlement is reached.

“With the help of our mediator, CUPE 4500 put in an honest effort to find some common ground with Coast Mountain," O'Neill says. "But we are still not near where we need to be in addressing our key issues.”

Tony Rebelo with CUPE Local 7000, representing SkyTrain workers, said Sunday that members wouldn't cross picket lines if they went up at stations.

CUPE Local 7000 sent out a bulletin Sunday warning members of the potential disruptions.

The bulletin said CUPE 4500 had made a Labour Relations Board complaint against TransLink, the BC Rapid Transit Company, West Coast Express, and Protrans for trying to "reduce the impact" on transit riders during the escalating strike action.

TransLink spokeswoman Tina Lovgreen said in an email Sunday that the company expects all SkyTrain lines to "operate as normal" Monday.

"At this time, CUPE Local 4500 can only legally picket bus and SeaBus," she said.

Cornel Neagu with the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 134, which represents West Vancouver's Blue Bus drivers, also said Sunday that members wouldn't cross lines at hubs such as Phibbs Exchange in North Vancouver.

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Ferries tackles IT issue

BC Ferries tackles IT issue
The ferry corporation says it quickly identified the issue hours after the outage and provided scheduling updates on Twitter throughout Monday morning until the afternoon when the system came back online. 

BC Ferries tackles IT issue

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale
Police in Chilliwack say a 29 year old man is in police custody following a high risk incident in which shots were allegedly fired at police. The call to shelter in place has been cancelled and an "active, ongoing, high-risk police incident" that began Monday night has been resolved.

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale

Missing man Irshaad Ikbal found dead in Vancouver

Missing man Irshaad Ikbal found dead in Vancouver
Police say the remains of Irshaad Ikbal were found in False Creek. A passerby called police after seeing the man in the water. Ikbal had been missing since April 29th.

Missing man Irshaad Ikbal found dead in Vancouver

Health Minister Adrian Dix attends Surrey Board of Trade Event, recognizes PICS Guru Nanak Diversity Village

Health Minister Adrian Dix attends Surrey Board of Trade Event, recognizes PICS Guru Nanak Diversity Village
He made special emphasis on the great work that Progressive Intercultural Community Services Society does in the community and mentioning of the upcoming PICS Long Term Care Facility in Cloverdale - Guru Nanak Diversity Village, which will meet the needs of the community. 

Health Minister Adrian Dix attends Surrey Board of Trade Event, recognizes PICS Guru Nanak Diversity Village

Spike in car thefts in Prince George

Spike in car thefts in Prince George
Corporal Jennifer Cooper says in the first two weeks of May, the force has seen more than a 100 per cent jump in reported thefts. She says many of the reported thefts are of early 2000s model vehicles.

Spike in car thefts in Prince George

Road closures in effect in the area of 128th street in Surrey

Road closures in effect in the area of 128th street in Surrey
Road closures between 102 Avenue and 104 Avenue on 128 Street are in place due to a serious motor vehicle collision. The road closure is in effect until further notice. 7  people from the two vehicles were injured and have been transported to local hospital. 

Road closures in effect in the area of 128th street in Surrey