Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:38 AM
  • Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Prosecutors say two teens apprehended last week in connection with a double homicide in a First Nations community in northern Quebec are facing first-degree murder charges.

A spokeswoman for the Crown says the 17-year-old boys, who can't be named because they are minors, were charged each with two counts of premeditated murder over the weekend and are due back in court today.

The two male victims, 30-year-old Bedabin Neeposh and 29-year-old Daniel Benac, died after being found in a bullet-riddled car last Wednesday night in the First Nations community about 600 kilometres northwest of Quebec City.

The teens were arrested by a tactical unit Friday in the community of Mistissini, a Cree community in northern Quebec.

Provincial police have said the fatal shooting was likely linked to organized crime and possibly a settling of accounts.

The killings of the two local men badly shook the Cree Nation of Mistissini, with the community briefly under a lockdown order on Thursday morning.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian officials say meeting with U.S. commerce secretary was constructive

Canadian officials say meeting with U.S. commerce secretary was constructive
Canadian officials said a Thursday meeting with U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick was constructive and lowered temperatures amid the ongoing trade war launched by U.S. President Donald Trump last month — but they expected no immediate changes to punishing tariffs. 

Canadian officials say meeting with U.S. commerce secretary was constructive

Teen dies after car crashes into tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Teen dies after car crashes into tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park
Police in Vancouver say an 18-year-old man has died in an early morning car crash in Stanley Park. They say in a news release that the driver of a white BMW was travelling between Second and Third Beach in the park when he lost control and hit a tree just after 3 a.m.

Teen dies after car crashes into tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Here are the people making up Mark Carney's new Liberal cabinet

Here are the people making up Mark Carney's new Liberal cabinet
Prime Minister Mark Carney has named a 24-member cabinet, a team of ministers who will lead during the coming federal election campaign. Here's a list of ministers and their portfolios:

Here are the people making up Mark Carney's new Liberal cabinet

Joly says G7 leaders have 'strong unity' on defending Ukraine

Joly says G7 leaders have 'strong unity' on defending Ukraine
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said Friday that G7 countries have maintained their support for Ukraine, as she and her peers endorsed a U.S. proposal for a ceasefire in the Russia-Ukraine war and called for a "political horizon" for Palestinians.

Joly says G7 leaders have 'strong unity' on defending Ukraine

Mark Carney sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister

Mark Carney sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister
Mark Carney was sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister in a ceremony at Rideau Hall on Friday morning — along with a leaner Liberal cabinet that he said is focused on confronting the immediate threat of U.S. President Donald Trump and his tariffs. Breezing past reporters on his way into the ceremony about an hour after Justin Trudeau stepped down, Carney said his team was ready to go.

Mark Carney sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister

Media outlets start receiving Google payments from Online News Act: journalism group

Media outlets start receiving Google payments from Online News Act: journalism group
Money has started to flow to Canadian news outlets from the $100 million Google agreed to pay them in exchange for an exemption from the Online News Act, the organization administering the fund said. The Canadian Journalism Collective announced Thursday that the first portion of cash sent to eligible news businesses amounted to $17.25 million, with additional payments slated to be transferred by the end of April.

Media outlets start receiving Google payments from Online News Act: journalism group