Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:38 AM
  • Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Prosecutors say two teens apprehended last week in connection with a double homicide in a First Nations community in northern Quebec are facing first-degree murder charges.

A spokeswoman for the Crown says the 17-year-old boys, who can't be named because they are minors, were charged each with two counts of premeditated murder over the weekend and are due back in court today.

The two male victims, 30-year-old Bedabin Neeposh and 29-year-old Daniel Benac, died after being found in a bullet-riddled car last Wednesday night in the First Nations community about 600 kilometres northwest of Quebec City.

The teens were arrested by a tactical unit Friday in the community of Mistissini, a Cree community in northern Quebec.

Provincial police have said the fatal shooting was likely linked to organized crime and possibly a settling of accounts.

The killings of the two local men badly shook the Cree Nation of Mistissini, with the community briefly under a lockdown order on Thursday morning.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump family fortune began in a Canadian brothel-hotel

Trump family fortune began in a Canadian brothel-hotel
In one of history's little-known ironies, the Maple Leaf country pushing back against Donald Trump’s annexation bid is also host to a tiny, remote restaurant and brothel that helped launch the U.S. president's family fortune more than 100 years ago. To find it, look west. Way west.

Trump family fortune began in a Canadian brothel-hotel

Some Trudeau cabinet ministers out as Carney prepares to reveal a shorter bench

Some Trudeau cabinet ministers out as Carney prepares to reveal a shorter bench
Mark Carney will be sworn in officially as prime minister and reveal the makeup of his first cabinet Friday morning — a team one government source said will not include Jean-Yves Duclos. The source, who was not authorized to speak publicly, told The Canadian Press that Duclos was informed Thursday that he will no longer be minister of public services and procurement or the Liberal party's Quebec lieutenant.

Some Trudeau cabinet ministers out as Carney prepares to reveal a shorter bench

B.C. court grants production order to man defrauded out of $26 million in bitcoin

B.C. court grants production order to man defrauded out of $26 million in bitcoin
A B.C. Supreme Court judge has granted production orders to name cryptocurrency account holders to a man who claims he lost $26 million in bitcoin in a fraud connected to a person who claimed to live in Vancouver.  The court ruling posted Thursday was issued last month involving Lixiao Wang, who petitioned the court for a production order against cryptocurrency platforms Binance and Coinbase. 

B.C. court grants production order to man defrauded out of $26 million in bitcoin

Vancouver police cancel Amber Alert for 2-year-old boy, saying he's safe

Vancouver police cancel Amber Alert for 2-year-old boy, saying he's safe
Vancouver police say they have located a two-year-old boy who was allegedly abducted by his father on Thursday. Police say the boy is safe after they issued an Amber Alert saying they believed he was in imminent danger. 

Vancouver police cancel Amber Alert for 2-year-old boy, saying he's safe

Health Minister Mark Holland not running in upcoming election

Health Minister Mark Holland not running in upcoming election
Health Minister Mark Holland said Thursday he won't run again in the coming federal election, announcing his change in plans just one day before Mark Carney is officially sworn in as prime minister. Holland, who represents the riding of Ajax just outside Toronto, said in a social media post Thursday that "it's time to go home."

Health Minister Mark Holland not running in upcoming election

B.C. legislation would give cabinet sweeping powers amid U.S. tariff threats

B.C. legislation would give cabinet sweeping powers amid U.S. tariff threats
A bill, tabled in the legislature Thursday, gives cabinet the power to implement charges on vehicles using B.C. infrastructure, such as highways and ferries, while allowing the politicians to make directives about public-sector procurement. 

B.C. legislation would give cabinet sweeping powers amid U.S. tariff threats