Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Canadians Among Dead In Saudi Housing Complex Fire: Saudi Official

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2015 11:19 AM
    RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Saudi official says three Canadians are among those killed in a fire that engulfed parts of a residential compound in the kingdom's oil-rich east.
     
    A regional civil defence spokesman (Col. Ali bin Saad al-Qahtani) was also quoted today by the official Saudi Press Agency as saying that a total of 10 people died and 259 were injured in the blaze, including a Pakistani and a Nigerian national.
     
    The civil defence directorate previously said 11 people were killed.
     
    None of the victims' names have been released.
     
    The defence spokesman says 179 of those injured have been treated and released from hospital, and that a preliminary investigation suggests an electrical short circuit in the building's basement sparked the blaze.
     
    The complex in the city of Khobar houses workers for state oil giant Saudi Aramco.
     
    A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said consular officials were in touch with the Canadians affected by the incident.
     
    "Canadian consular officials in Riyadh are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to those affected and their family during this difficult time," said Diana Khaddaj.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Abuse At Ontario Schools For The Deaf

    Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Abuse At Ontario Schools For The Deaf
    A Toronto man alleges he was abused for years at Ontario schools for the deaf and has launched a class action lawsuit on behalf of other former students against the provincial government.

    Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Abuse At Ontario Schools For The Deaf

    Indian Government Says Ready To Discuss Lalit Modi Issue

    Indian Government Says Ready To Discuss Lalit Modi Issue
    The government on Wednesday said it was willing to discuss the Lalit Modi issue under an adjournment motion as demanded by the Congress in the Lok Sabha.

    Indian Government Says Ready To Discuss Lalit Modi Issue

    Harper's Former Chief Of Staff Nigel Wright Testifies At Mike Duffy's Criminal Trial

    Harper's Former Chief Of Staff Nigel Wright Testifies At Mike Duffy's Criminal Trial
    OTTAWA — Stephen Harper's former chief of staff, Nigel Wright, has begun his testimony at the trial of embattled Sen. Mike Duffy.

    Harper's Former Chief Of Staff Nigel Wright Testifies At Mike Duffy's Criminal Trial

    Lawyer Withdraws From Case Of Saskatchewan Man Who Admitted To Burning Woman

    Lawyer Withdraws From Case Of Saskatchewan Man Who Admitted To Burning Woman
    PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. — A Saskatchewan man who has pleaded guilty to assaulting and setting a woman on fire is looking for a new lawyer.

    Lawyer Withdraws From Case Of Saskatchewan Man Who Admitted To Burning Woman

    Alberta Man Sentenced To 40 Years In Puerto Rico For Production Of Child Porn

    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — A Canadian man has been sentenced in Puerto Rico to 40 years in prison for possession and production of child pornography.

    Alberta Man Sentenced To 40 Years In Puerto Rico For Production Of Child Porn

    Society Director Joe Leong Fined For Misappropriating Kamloops Railway Society Funds

    Society Director Joe Leong Fined For Misappropriating Kamloops Railway Society Funds
    Joe Leong, 65, admitted using money from the Kamloops Heritage Railway Society to tend to his personal finances and was fined $2,000.

    Society Director Joe Leong Fined For Misappropriating Kamloops Railway Society Funds