Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Canadians Among Dead In Saudi Housing Complex Fire: Saudi Official

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2015 11:19 AM
    RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Saudi official says three Canadians are among those killed in a fire that engulfed parts of a residential compound in the kingdom's oil-rich east.
     
    A regional civil defence spokesman (Col. Ali bin Saad al-Qahtani) was also quoted today by the official Saudi Press Agency as saying that a total of 10 people died and 259 were injured in the blaze, including a Pakistani and a Nigerian national.
     
    The civil defence directorate previously said 11 people were killed.
     
    None of the victims' names have been released.
     
    The defence spokesman says 179 of those injured have been treated and released from hospital, and that a preliminary investigation suggests an electrical short circuit in the building's basement sparked the blaze.
     
    The complex in the city of Khobar houses workers for state oil giant Saudi Aramco.
     
    A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said consular officials were in touch with the Canadians affected by the incident.
     
    "Canadian consular officials in Riyadh are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to those affected and their family during this difficult time," said Diana Khaddaj.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    CMHC: Slowdown In National Seasonal Rate Of New-Home Construction In July

    CMHC: Slowdown In National Seasonal Rate Of New-Home Construction In July
    OTTAWA — The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. says the pace of new home construction slowed in July for the first time in three months, mostly as a result of fewer multi-unit projects started in urban areas.

    CMHC: Slowdown In National Seasonal Rate Of New-Home Construction In July

    Hepatitis C Man Gets Prison Sentence For Stabbing Store Employee With Needle In Kamloops

    Hepatitis C Man Gets Prison Sentence For Stabbing Store Employee With Needle In Kamloops
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Stabbing a store employee with a dirty needle has netted a Kamloops, B.C., man with hepatitis C more than two years in prison.

    Hepatitis C Man Gets Prison Sentence For Stabbing Store Employee With Needle In Kamloops

    South African Crews Join B.C. Wildfire Fight As Australians Leave

    South African Crews Join B.C. Wildfire Fight As Australians Leave
    About 25 people from South Africa are helping to battle a 13-square kilometre blaze burning near Harrison Hot Springs in the eastern Fraser Valley.

    South African Crews Join B.C. Wildfire Fight As Australians Leave

    Okanagan Teen Shaken But Ok After Attempted Abduction In Peachland

    Okanagan Teen Shaken But Ok After Attempted Abduction In Peachland
    A search is underway in the Okanagan for two men suspected of the attempted kidnapping of a 15-year-old girl.

    Okanagan Teen Shaken But Ok After Attempted Abduction In Peachland

    Crown Says It Could Call As Many As 300 Witnesses At Hells Trial In Montreal

    Crown Says It Could Call As Many As 300 Witnesses At Hells Trial In Montreal
    A murder trial for five alleged Hells Angels began Monday with the Crown saying it might call as many as 300 witnesses.

    Crown Says It Could Call As Many As 300 Witnesses At Hells Trial In Montreal

    British Sailors Charged In Sexual Assault Seeking Permission To Return To U.K.

    HALIFAX — Three of four British sailors charged with sexually assaulting a woman in Halifax are expected in court today to challenge the conditions of their bail.

    British Sailors Charged In Sexual Assault Seeking Permission To Return To U.K.