Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Canadians Among Dead In Saudi Housing Complex Fire: Saudi Official

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2015 11:19 AM
    RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Saudi official says three Canadians are among those killed in a fire that engulfed parts of a residential compound in the kingdom's oil-rich east.
     
    A regional civil defence spokesman (Col. Ali bin Saad al-Qahtani) was also quoted today by the official Saudi Press Agency as saying that a total of 10 people died and 259 were injured in the blaze, including a Pakistani and a Nigerian national.
     
    The civil defence directorate previously said 11 people were killed.
     
    None of the victims' names have been released.
     
    The defence spokesman says 179 of those injured have been treated and released from hospital, and that a preliminary investigation suggests an electrical short circuit in the building's basement sparked the blaze.
     
    The complex in the city of Khobar houses workers for state oil giant Saudi Aramco.
     
    A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said consular officials were in touch with the Canadians affected by the incident.
     
    "Canadian consular officials in Riyadh are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to those affected and their family during this difficult time," said Diana Khaddaj.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Quebec Judge Orders Review Of Inmate's Grievance Over Porn TV Channels In Prison

    Quebec Judge Orders Review Of Inmate's Grievance Over Porn TV Channels In Prison
    MONTREAL — A Federal Court judge has ordered a new review of a Quebec prisoner's grievance over access to TV channels showing late-night pornography.

    Quebec Judge Orders Review Of Inmate's Grievance Over Porn TV Channels In Prison

    Duceppe Won't Predict How Many Seats He Can Win In Fall Election

    Duceppe Won't Predict How Many Seats He Can Win In Fall Election
    MONTREAL — Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe says he will serve his full term if he is elected this fall, no matter how his party fares at the ballot box.

    Duceppe Won't Predict How Many Seats He Can Win In Fall Election

    Canadian Health Officials Warn About Outbreak Of Intestinal Illness Cyclospora

    OTTAWA — Public health officials are warning about an outbreak of the intestinal illness Cyclospora, with 83 cases are being investigated across Canada.

    Canadian Health Officials Warn About Outbreak Of Intestinal Illness Cyclospora

    One winning ticket for $50-million jackpot in Friday's Lotto Max

    The ticket was purchased somewhere in Alberta.

    One winning ticket for $50-million jackpot in Friday's Lotto Max

    Experts Weigh In After Chris Hyndman's Mother's 'Sleepwalking' Suggestion

    Experts Weigh In After Chris Hyndman's Mother's 'Sleepwalking' Suggestion
    Glenda Hyndman told the Toronto Star that she believed her son fell to his death while sleepwalking on the terrace of the downtown Toronto home he shared with his professional and personal partner Steven Sabados. 

    Experts Weigh In After Chris Hyndman's Mother's 'Sleepwalking' Suggestion

    Police Investigate Horrific Stabbing Incidents In East Vancouver And Burnaby That Sent 4 To Hospital

    Police Investigate Horrific Stabbing Incidents In East Vancouver And Burnaby That Sent 4 To Hospital
     Police in Metro Vancouver are dealing with the aftermath of a violent Friday night after two separate stabbings sent four men to hospital.

    Police Investigate Horrific Stabbing Incidents In East Vancouver And Burnaby That Sent 4 To Hospital