Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Canadians Among Dead In Saudi Housing Complex Fire: Saudi Official

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2015 11:19 AM
    RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Saudi official says three Canadians are among those killed in a fire that engulfed parts of a residential compound in the kingdom's oil-rich east.
     
    A regional civil defence spokesman (Col. Ali bin Saad al-Qahtani) was also quoted today by the official Saudi Press Agency as saying that a total of 10 people died and 259 were injured in the blaze, including a Pakistani and a Nigerian national.
     
    The civil defence directorate previously said 11 people were killed.
     
    None of the victims' names have been released.
     
    The defence spokesman says 179 of those injured have been treated and released from hospital, and that a preliminary investigation suggests an electrical short circuit in the building's basement sparked the blaze.
     
    The complex in the city of Khobar houses workers for state oil giant Saudi Aramco.
     
    A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said consular officials were in touch with the Canadians affected by the incident.
     
    "Canadian consular officials in Riyadh are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to those affected and their family during this difficult time," said Diana Khaddaj.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Appeals Decision In Case Of Father Who Sexually Abused Kids In Care

    B.C. Appeals Decision In Case Of Father Who Sexually Abused Kids In Care
    Children's Minister Stephanie Cadieux says the appeal is not about the family involved, but about every family that the ministry may interact with in the future.

    B.C. Appeals Decision In Case Of Father Who Sexually Abused Kids In Care

    Ontario Cabinet Minister Michael Chan Sues Globe & Mail For Stories Raising Security Concerns

    Ontario Cabinet Minister Michael Chan Sues Globe & Mail For Stories Raising Security Concerns
    The statement of claim by Michael Chan makes good on a libel notice he sent the paper last month after it refused to retract its stories or apologize.

    Ontario Cabinet Minister Michael Chan Sues Globe & Mail For Stories Raising Security Concerns

    Calmer Wildfire Situation Could Change Quickly As Heat Returns To B.C.

    Calmer Wildfire Situation Could Change Quickly As Heat Returns To B.C.
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Cooler, wetter weather means fewer fires are burning across British Columbia and wildfire management crews are getting a break — for now.

    Calmer Wildfire Situation Could Change Quickly As Heat Returns To B.C.

    Coalition Of Groups Call On Harper To Intervene In Case Of Canadian Held In UAE

    TORONTO — A coalition of national organizations is calling on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to intervene in the case of a Canadian man detained in the United Arab Emirates for nearly a year.

    Coalition Of Groups Call On Harper To Intervene In Case Of Canadian Held In UAE

    Frances Kelsey, Canadian Doctor Who Opposed Thalidomide, Dies At 101

    Frances Kelsey, Canadian Doctor Who Opposed Thalidomide, Dies At 101
    LONDON, Ont. — Frances Kelsey, a Canadian doctor known for her tenacity in keeping a dangerous drug off the U.S. market, died Friday morning at age 101.

    Frances Kelsey, Canadian Doctor Who Opposed Thalidomide, Dies At 101

    Winnipeg Teen Admits To Taking Baby Niece, Putting Her In Recycling Bin In Drunk Stupor

    Winnipeg Teen Admits To Taking Baby Niece, Putting Her In Recycling Bin In Drunk Stupor
    A Winnipeg teen has admitted to grabbing his toddler niece from a home, seriously injuring her and then stuffing her in an outdoor recycling bin during a drunken stupor on a frigid New Year’s Eve.

    Winnipeg Teen Admits To Taking Baby Niece, Putting Her In Recycling Bin In Drunk Stupor