Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Canadians Among Dead In Saudi Housing Complex Fire: Saudi Official

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2015 11:19 AM
    RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Saudi official says three Canadians are among those killed in a fire that engulfed parts of a residential compound in the kingdom's oil-rich east.
     
    A regional civil defence spokesman (Col. Ali bin Saad al-Qahtani) was also quoted today by the official Saudi Press Agency as saying that a total of 10 people died and 259 were injured in the blaze, including a Pakistani and a Nigerian national.
     
    The civil defence directorate previously said 11 people were killed.
     
    None of the victims' names have been released.
     
    The defence spokesman says 179 of those injured have been treated and released from hospital, and that a preliminary investigation suggests an electrical short circuit in the building's basement sparked the blaze.
     
    The complex in the city of Khobar houses workers for state oil giant Saudi Aramco.
     
    A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said consular officials were in touch with the Canadians affected by the incident.
     
    "Canadian consular officials in Riyadh are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to those affected and their family during this difficult time," said Diana Khaddaj.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Major Crime Unit Sends Help To Police, Family, Searching For Missing Woman In Ladysmith, B.C.

    Major Crime Unit Sends Help To Police, Family, Searching For Missing Woman In Ladysmith, B.C.
    PENELAKUT ISLAND, B.C. — A search for a missing 18-year-old woman is ramping up on a small island just east of Ladysmith, B.C.

    Major Crime Unit Sends Help To Police, Family, Searching For Missing Woman In Ladysmith, B.C.

    Police Find Body Of Missing Five Months Pregnant Woman In Her Quebec Home

    Police Find Body Of Missing Five Months Pregnant Woman In Her Quebec Home
    Cheryl Bau-Tremblay of Beloeil, northeast of Montreal, was 28 years old and five months pregnant.

    Police Find Body Of Missing Five Months Pregnant Woman In Her Quebec Home

    Former Mountie Faces Sex Charges Involving Child During 1960s In Cape Dorset

    Former Mountie Faces Sex Charges Involving Child During 1960s In Cape Dorset
    CAPE DORSET, Nunavut — Nunavut RCMP have charged a former Mountie with sex offences involving a child that stem back to the 1960s.

    Former Mountie Faces Sex Charges Involving Child During 1960s In Cape Dorset

    So Who Won Canada's Election Debate? Depends Which Leader You Ask, Apparently

    So Who Won Canada's Election Debate? Depends Which Leader You Ask, Apparently
    OTTAWA — All of the party leaders were winners in the kickoff election debate — at least, according to the leaders themselves.

    So Who Won Canada's Election Debate? Depends Which Leader You Ask, Apparently

    Three Indian Americans Charged With $2.5-Million Bank Fraud And Money Laundering

    Three Indian Americans Charged With $2.5-Million Bank Fraud And Money Laundering
    US authorities have charged three Indian Americans with a $2.5-million bank fraud and money laundering, media reports said.

    Three Indian Americans Charged With $2.5-Million Bank Fraud And Money Laundering

    B.C. Says Park Policy Offers Protection While Others Fear Development

    The Ministry of Environment is expected to release its policy on issuing permits for research and information gathering within provincial parks on Friday.

    B.C. Says Park Policy Offers Protection While Others Fear Development