Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:48 AM
  • Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Police in Surrey, B.C., arrested three men on Sunday after early morning gunfire at a home, believed to be yet another example of extortion-related shootings that have plagued the city in recent months. 

The Surrey Police Service said officers were on patrol in the city's Crescent Beach neighbourhood just before 4 a.m. when a call came in about a shooting and small fire outside a home near 132 Street and Crescent Road. 

The police service said members from the Lower Mainland police dog service and Delta Police also responded. Officers located a suspect vehicle driving in the area, and the people in it fled on foot. Three suspects were arrested a short time later after getting into a ride-share vehicle, police said. 

Police said the fire was put out by Surrey firefighters. It didn't damage the home, which had people inside who were uninjured, but the home did get hit by gunfire. 

The service said its major crime section is investigating whether the three men are linked to the shooting, but they have not been charged and police did not name the suspects.

"This incident is believed to be related to extortions," police said in a news release.

The Surrey Police Service said the officers involved were part of Project Assurance, which involves proactive patrols of neighbourhoods that have been targeted by an ongoing rash of extortion-related shootings in the city. 

The latest arrests come less than a week after Surrey police arrested two foreign nationals under similar circumstances. 

Police said last week that members patrolling the area of 129 Street and 84 Ave. on Jan. 26 heard a gunshot around 3:50 a.m. and stopped a vehicle where they alleged they found a loaded handgun. 

They arrested 20-year-old Harshdeep Singh and 21-year-old Hanspreet Singh, who now face charges of occupying a vehicle knowing a firearm is present.

Harshdeep Singh has also been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, police said. 

The two men, police said, are foreign nationals and the Surrey Police Service said it had notified the Canada Border Services Agency.  

The Surrey Police Service said the city began seeing "a spike in extortion threats and associated violence" in June 2025, and in addition to active patrols, the service now has a dedicated extortion tip line, with 15 of the service's officers also assigned to the BC Extortion Task Force. 

The City of Surrey has also put up a $250,000 reward fund for people who provide "key information" about extortions in the city, which has Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke urging the federal government to declare a national state of emergency. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Rich Lam

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver artist who was mother of two identified among Vancouver festival victims

Vancouver artist who was mother of two identified among Vancouver festival victims
Family members and friends of those killed in a vehicle attack at a Vancouver festival are coming forward to tell the stories of their loved ones. A 30-year-old man faces a series ofsecond-degree murder charges over the attack that killed 11 people at the Lapu Lapu Day festival. 

Vancouver artist who was mother of two identified among Vancouver festival victims

Indigenous chiefs call for Alberta Premier Smith to stop stoking separatism talk

Indigenous chiefs call for Alberta Premier Smith to stop stoking separatism talk
Two First Nations chiefs are accusing Alberta Premier Danielle Smith of "attempting to manufacture a national unity crisis" and are calling on her to stop stoking the fires of separatism.

Indigenous chiefs call for Alberta Premier Smith to stop stoking separatism talk

Ontario, Prairies blocked Liberals from an election-night majority blowout

Ontario, Prairies blocked Liberals from an election-night majority blowout
The Liberals rose from the ashes under Prime Minister Mark Carney in a stunning reversal of fortunes this year, but the party's failure to sweep many of the ridings it sought Monday night denied it a resounding majority mandate.

Ontario, Prairies blocked Liberals from an election-night majority blowout

'Just destroyed': Three members of family from Colombia died in B.C. attack, says son

'Just destroyed': Three members of family from Colombia died in B.C. attack, says son
Alejandro Samper was getting ready for work on Saturday night when he received a call from his sister's fiancé about a "terrible accident," and he rushed to the scene of the Lapu Lapu Day festival in Vancouver. 

'Just destroyed': Three members of family from Colombia died in B.C. attack, says son

Questions swirl around decimated NDP in former British Columbia strongholds

Questions swirl around decimated NDP in former British Columbia strongholds
Questions are swirling around the fate of the federal New Democrats in British Columbia, including the matter of leadership, after devastating election losses in the formerprovincial stronghold.

Questions swirl around decimated NDP in former British Columbia strongholds

Elections Canada says more than 19.5M voters cast a ballot in federal election

Elections Canada says more than 19.5M voters cast a ballot in federal election
Elections Canada says more than 68 per cent of eligible voterscast a ballot in the federal election — more than 19.5 million people.

Elections Canada says more than 19.5M voters cast a ballot in federal election