Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:48 AM
  • Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Police in Surrey, B.C., arrested three men on Sunday after early morning gunfire at a home, believed to be yet another example of extortion-related shootings that have plagued the city in recent months. 

The Surrey Police Service said officers were on patrol in the city's Crescent Beach neighbourhood just before 4 a.m. when a call came in about a shooting and small fire outside a home near 132 Street and Crescent Road. 

The police service said members from the Lower Mainland police dog service and Delta Police also responded. Officers located a suspect vehicle driving in the area, and the people in it fled on foot. Three suspects were arrested a short time later after getting into a ride-share vehicle, police said. 

Police said the fire was put out by Surrey firefighters. It didn't damage the home, which had people inside who were uninjured, but the home did get hit by gunfire. 

The service said its major crime section is investigating whether the three men are linked to the shooting, but they have not been charged and police did not name the suspects.

"This incident is believed to be related to extortions," police said in a news release.

The Surrey Police Service said the officers involved were part of Project Assurance, which involves proactive patrols of neighbourhoods that have been targeted by an ongoing rash of extortion-related shootings in the city. 

The latest arrests come less than a week after Surrey police arrested two foreign nationals under similar circumstances. 

Police said last week that members patrolling the area of 129 Street and 84 Ave. on Jan. 26 heard a gunshot around 3:50 a.m. and stopped a vehicle where they alleged they found a loaded handgun. 

They arrested 20-year-old Harshdeep Singh and 21-year-old Hanspreet Singh, who now face charges of occupying a vehicle knowing a firearm is present.

Harshdeep Singh has also been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, police said. 

The two men, police said, are foreign nationals and the Surrey Police Service said it had notified the Canada Border Services Agency.  

The Surrey Police Service said the city began seeing "a spike in extortion threats and associated violence" in June 2025, and in addition to active patrols, the service now has a dedicated extortion tip line, with 15 of the service's officers also assigned to the BC Extortion Task Force. 

The City of Surrey has also put up a $250,000 reward fund for people who provide "key information" about extortions in the city, which has Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke urging the federal government to declare a national state of emergency. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Rich Lam

MORE National ARTICLES

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre loses his long-held seat in Ottawa

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre loses his long-held seat in Ottawa
The Canadian Press decision desk is projecting that Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has lost in the Ottawariding of Carleton.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre loses his long-held seat in Ottawa

Father, mother, five-year-old daughter, killed in Vancouver attack, leave son behind

Father, mother, five-year-old daughter, killed in Vancouver attack, leave son behind
Richard Le sent a text to his 16-year-old son on Saturday at about 8 p.m., saying he and the teen's stepmother and little sister would soon leave the Lapu Lapu Day festival inVancouver.

Father, mother, five-year-old daughter, killed in Vancouver attack, leave son behind

Alberta Premier Smith congratulates Carney, warns him against future 'hostile acts'

Alberta Premier Smith congratulates Carney, warns him against future 'hostile acts'
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith has delivered a note of congratulations — along with a sharply worded warning and a blanket condemnation — to Prime Minister Mark Carney and his new Liberal government.

Alberta Premier Smith congratulates Carney, warns him against future 'hostile acts'

B.C. to hold an independent commission into festival attack, considers public inquiry

B.C. to hold an independent commission into festival attack, considers public inquiry
British Columbia Premier David Eby says his government will launch an independent commission into the Vancouver festival attack that killed 11 people and a public inquiry if the criminal case doesn't provide answers the public is looking for. 

B.C. to hold an independent commission into festival attack, considers public inquiry

Man dies after car jumps curb, crashes into seven vehicles in Surrey, B.C.

Man dies after car jumps curb, crashes into seven vehicles in Surrey, B.C.
A man has died in a crash involving eight vehicles in Surrey, B.C., after he suffered what investigators believe to be a medical emergency while driving.

Man dies after car jumps curb, crashes into seven vehicles in Surrey, B.C.

Fraser Health says visitor from Ontario is the latest case of measles in B.C.

Fraser Health says visitor from Ontario is the latest case of measles in B.C.
Health authorities in British Columbia have confirmed another new case of measles infection in the province, this time with a visitor from Ontario.

Fraser Health says visitor from Ontario is the latest case of measles in B.C.