Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Men Sentenced For Stealing $18 Million Worth Of Maple Syrup In Quebec

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2017 12:23 PM
    MONTREAL — Three men convicted in connection with the theft of $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec were sentenced on Friday to between two and eight years.
     
    Superior Court Justice Raymond Pronovost sentenced Richard Vallieres to eight years in prison, confiscated $606,500 from him and fined him another $9.4 million.
     
    Vallieres, who was convicted of theft, fraud and receiving stolen goods, will have to pay back the money over a 10-year period or risk having his sentence increased by six years.
     
    The other two men, Raymond Vallieres and Etienne St-Pierre, were each sentenced to jail terms of two years minus one day, to be served in the community, as well as three years probation.
     
    Raymond Vallieres will be required to pay $9,840 within one year, or go to jail for six months, while St-Pierre must pay $1.3 million over 15 years or be imprisoned for five years.
     
    A fourth man charged in the case, Jean Lord, was acquitted.
     
     
    The sentencing proceedings took place in a courtroom in Trois-Rivieres, Que., 140 kilometres northeast of Montreal.
     
    Jurors found the three men guilty last November in connection with the theft of 2,700 tons of syrup worth $18 million from a warehouse in Quebec between August 2011 and July 2012.
     
    The case made international headlines after the sweet stuff was reported missing following a routine inventory check at a warehouse in Saint-Louis-de-Blandford, Que.
     
    An investigation was launched after the barrels of syrup were found to have been drained and replaced with water.
     
    Officers from the RCMP, the Canada Border Services Agency and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement helped Quebec police in the investigation.
     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Canadian-Kazakh National Karim Baratov, 22, Arrested In Ontario Over Massive Yahoo Breach

    Canadian-Kazakh National Karim Baratov, 22, Arrested In Ontario Over Massive Yahoo Breach
      Karim Baratov, 22, was taken into custody in Ancaster, Ont., on Tuesday at the request of American authorities, a police spokesman said.

    Canadian-Kazakh National Karim Baratov, 22, Arrested In Ontario Over Massive Yahoo Breach

    Hot Toronto Real Estate Market Helps Push Home Sales Up Last Month, CREA Says

    Hot Toronto Real Estate Market Helps Push Home Sales Up Last Month, CREA Says
    Home sales though the MLS system hit levels not seen since last April, gaining 5.2 per cent in February compared to January.

    Hot Toronto Real Estate Market Helps Push Home Sales Up Last Month, CREA Says

    Pileups In Quebec Injure At Least 3; Cause Chemical Spill

    Pileups In Quebec Injure At Least 3; Cause Chemical Spill
    Quebec provincial police say one trucker suffered critical injuries in the first crash on Highway 20 near Saint-Zotique in western Quebec. About seven trucks and their cargo reportedly caught fire in the accident.

    Pileups In Quebec Injure At Least 3; Cause Chemical Spill

    Indian-American Seema Verma Sworn-In As Top US Healthcare Agency Head

    Indian-American Seema Verma Sworn-In As Top US Healthcare Agency Head
    The $1 trillion agency oversees health insurance programmes for everyone from nursing home residents to newborns.

    Indian-American Seema Verma Sworn-In As Top US Healthcare Agency Head

    New Program Aims To Have Quebec Food Banks Get Unsold Surplus Grocery Store Food

    New Program Aims To Have Quebec Food Banks Get Unsold Surplus Grocery Store Food
    The supermarket recovery program is being dubbed the first of its kind in Canada and follows a pilot project launched a few years ago in Montreal and Quebec City which yielded promising results.

    New Program Aims To Have Quebec Food Banks Get Unsold Surplus Grocery Store Food

    Abbotsford Teen Arrested After Demanding Naked Photos From 11-year-old Boy In Texas

    Abbotsford Teen Arrested After Demanding Naked Photos From 11-year-old Boy In Texas
     teenager in British Columbia has been charged with offences including luring a child

    Abbotsford Teen Arrested After Demanding Naked Photos From 11-year-old Boy In Texas