Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three Per Cent Hike In BC Hydro Rates Scheduled For Next Year Has Been Put On Hold

The Canadian Press, 09 Nov, 2017 12:16 PM
  • Three Per Cent Hike In BC Hydro Rates Scheduled For Next Year Has Been Put On Hold
VICTORIA — A three per cent hike in hydro rates in British Columbia scheduled for next year has been put on hold.
 
Energy Minister Michelle Mungall says the government is keeping its promise to freeze rates that have climbed more than 24 per cent over the last four years.
 
BC Hydro had applied to the province's utilities commission in 2016 to increase rates by three per cent annually over three years, but Mungall says the Crown corporation is now pulling back its request.
 
She says the province will conduct a review of BC Hydro to find cost savings that could help keep rates low.
 
The review will take place after the NDP government reaches a decision on whether to proceed with or cancel the $8.3 billion Site C hydroelectric dam project.
 
Mungall says any adjustments to hydro rates that result from the review will be implemented in April 2019.

MORE National ARTICLES

Manitoba Teen Accidentally Shot During Target Practice With Friend: Relative

Manitoba Teen Accidentally Shot During Target Practice With Friend: Relative
WINNIPEG — A resident of a small Hutterite colony west of Winnipeg says a 16-year-old boy was shot and killed during a game of target practice on the weekend. 

Manitoba Teen Accidentally Shot During Target Practice With Friend: Relative

Quebec Town Reaches Deal With Woman Sexually Assaulted By Mayor

Quebec Town Reaches Deal With Woman Sexually Assaulted By Mayor
Under terms of the agreement, Caroline Lamarre will be compensated in exchange for agreeing to abandon her efforts to get her job back with the community of Baie-Trinite.

Quebec Town Reaches Deal With Woman Sexually Assaulted By Mayor

Relatives Of Slain U.S. Soldier Want Urgent Freeze On Omar Khadr's Assets

Relatives Of Slain U.S. Soldier Want Urgent Freeze On Omar Khadr's Assets
The motion before Ontario Superior Court asks for a freeze on his money — the government reportedly paid Khadr $10.5 million last week — pending the outcome of a request to recognize a US$134.1-million Utah judgment against him.

Relatives Of Slain U.S. Soldier Want Urgent Freeze On Omar Khadr's Assets

Ex-Gitmo Detainee Praises Canada's Deal With Omar Khadr As Setting The Bar

TORONTO — A British man compensated by the U.K. government for his torture and years of detention at Guantanamo Bay expressed dismay on Tuesday at the public and political furor in Canada over Ottawa's settlement with Omar Khadr.

Ex-Gitmo Detainee Praises Canada's Deal With Omar Khadr As Setting The Bar

Overdose Warning System Aims To Alert Users About Potentially Deadly Drugs

VANCOUVER — Medical health officers in the Vancouver area are aiming to quickly warn drug users about clusters of overdoses and batches of contaminated drugs based on reports from people who use illegal substances.

Overdose Warning System Aims To Alert Users About Potentially Deadly Drugs

New Plan Will Promote Atlantic Canada As Prime Travel Destination: Minister Navdeep Bains

New Plan Will Promote Atlantic Canada As Prime Travel Destination: Minister Navdeep Bains
STEADY BROOK, N.L. — Ottawa and the Atlantic provinces are teaming up with industry to spend $24.5 million over three years on touting Atlantic Canada as a top travel destination.

New Plan Will Promote Atlantic Canada As Prime Travel Destination: Minister Navdeep Bains