Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Toronto Syrian Restaurant That Closed Due To Threats Reopens

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Oct, 2019 09:51 PM

    TORONTO - A popular Syrian restaurant in Toronto reopened Friday amid messages of support and media attention, just days after its owners said a flood of threats had forced them to close.

     

    Members of the Alsoufi family said an outpouring of support from people across the country convinced them to reconsider their decision to shut down Soufi's, a downtown restaurant that's been hailed internationally as a refugee success story.

     

    Hand-written notes of encouragement were posted on the front door, while supportive emails were printed out and plastered on a wall inside.

     

    "We're here of course for the delicious food," said Melissa Milkie, who was among the first customers through the door. "And to support the business."

     

    She said she's a regular of the Syrian joint, coming with her family every other Sunday to grab some flatbread for lunch. One of Milkie's grandmothers is from Syria, she said, so she feels a special kinship with the place.

     

    "A friend of mine who lives around here texted me the story and it was really upsetting," she said. "Right away it was a really impactful story for a number of reasons. We talked about it as a family, and about the meaning of the threats.

     

    She said she wanted to show that threatening messages won't be tolerated in Canada.

     

    "Just how devastating a threat can be, even if it's very unlikely to come to fruition, all the chaos it creates, and all the horrors behind what it means for this family, the business, the community, and the sadness of it," she said. "So we're super happy to see it open."

     

    Meanwhile, Toronto police have said they're investigating a complaint from the family, who have said they handed over hundreds of threatening messages to the force.

     

    The Alsoufis have linked those threats to a September event in Hamilton featuring People's Party of Canada Leader Maxime Bernier that drew a crowd of angry protesters — reportedly including the family's eldest son.

     

    Media reports said Alaa Alsoufi was among the demonstrators at the Sept. 29 event, video of which showed masked protesters blocking the path of an elderly woman who used a walker.

     

    The head of a Toronto-based Middle Eastern restaurant chain, Paramount Fine Foods, has offered to run the eatery until the owners feel safe again.

     

    Mohamad Fakih has said the Alsoufis will retain ownership and receive all the profits.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Targeted Shooting In Surrey's Fraser Heights: Two Men Seriously Injured

    Targeted Shooting In Surrey's Fraser Heights: Two Men Seriously Injured
    The shooting took place near a school and two daycares in the area of 160 Street and 111 Avenue at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

    Targeted Shooting In Surrey's Fraser Heights: Two Men Seriously Injured

    Coming Out As Bisexual Among Scariest Experiences In Life: YouTube Star Lilly Singh

    YouTube sensation Lilly Singh says opening up on social media about her bisexuality earlier this year was one of her scariest experiences in life.

    Coming Out As Bisexual Among Scariest Experiences In Life: YouTube Star Lilly Singh

    Big Spender: Alberta Panel Says Savings To Be Found In Health, Education Changes

    Big Spender: Alberta Panel Says Savings To Be Found In Health, Education Changes
    CALGARY - A panel looking into Alberta's finances says the province habitually overspends on its services and needs to get tough on schools, have university students pay more and force doctors to charge less.

    Big Spender: Alberta Panel Says Savings To Be Found In Health, Education Changes

    Ontario Man Charged With Conspiracy To Murder Couple Living In Jamaica

    AJAX, Ont. - Police say a man from southern Ontario has been arrested after he allegedly plotted to murder a couple living in Jamaica.    

    Ontario Man Charged With Conspiracy To Murder Couple Living In Jamaica

    British Government Denies Reports That A Child-murderer Will Be Sent To Canada

    A media report that Britain is considering sending a child-murderer to Canada is false, the British Justice Ministry said Tuesday.

    British Government Denies Reports That A Child-murderer Will Be Sent To Canada

    Joshua Boyle's Lawyers Want Charge Of Misleading Police Thrown Out

    Lawyers for former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle want a judge to toss out a charge that he misled police — one of several criminal counts he faces in Ontario court.

    Joshua Boyle's Lawyers Want Charge Of Misleading Police Thrown Out