Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 May, 2022 01:46 PM
  • Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

PORT ALBERNI, B.C. - RCMP say the mother and stepfather of a little boy are being held in custody on first-degree murder charges following painstaking efforts by police on Vancouver Island to get all the evidence to prosecutors.

Const. Richard Johns says 28-year-old Rykel Frank and 29-year-old Mitchell Frank will go before a judge this week following their arrest on Friday.

Six-year-old Dontay Lucas was found dead in a home in Port Alberni in March 2018.

Sgt. Clayton Wiebe says the long wait for charges has been frustrating for the boy's family, the community of Port Alberni and police officers who conducted the "tragic" investigation.

He says it took time to gather reports from various agencies including the coroner's service as well as on forensics, and that TV stories about homicides make a difficult process look easy.

Wiebe says the couple, who are now married, had other children in their care and that they no longer live with them.

"This is a tragic investigation that affected numerous people," he told a news conference, citing everyone connected to the little boy, including his classmates.

Wiebe says he could not say why the couple was charged with first-degree murder, which involves intent, because that would be providing details that will have to be revealed in court.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation
Dr. Bonnie Henry said last week the province was better positioned to consider removing pandemic restrictions before students begin spring break on Monday.

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report
 The death review panel report released Wednesday by chief coroner Lisa Lapointe's office sets a deadline of May 9 for the government to create a safer supply policy in collaboration with the BC Centre for Disease Control and the BC Centre on Substance Use.

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 405 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 58 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, 14 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,929.

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male
Wong was a young athlete and a promising student on the night of January 13, 2018, when he was struck by a stray bullet while riding in the back of his parents’ car. He was critically injured and died days later in hospital. Whiteside was also killed in the shooting.

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school
All incidents occurred in the morning between 8:20 to 8:30 a.m. The suspect is described as South Asian, 30-40 years old, medium complexion, dark hair, 5’10, average build, with facial stubble and a moustache.  

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership
Roman Baber will launch his campaign Wednesday evening, and says he considers himself to be the underdog in the party's contest, competing against well-known federal Conservatives like Pierre Poilievre and Leslyn Lewis. Former Quebec premier Jean Charest is also planning to enter the race Thursday.    

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership