Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 May, 2022 01:46 PM
  • Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

PORT ALBERNI, B.C. - RCMP say the mother and stepfather of a little boy are being held in custody on first-degree murder charges following painstaking efforts by police on Vancouver Island to get all the evidence to prosecutors.

Const. Richard Johns says 28-year-old Rykel Frank and 29-year-old Mitchell Frank will go before a judge this week following their arrest on Friday.

Six-year-old Dontay Lucas was found dead in a home in Port Alberni in March 2018.

Sgt. Clayton Wiebe says the long wait for charges has been frustrating for the boy's family, the community of Port Alberni and police officers who conducted the "tragic" investigation.

He says it took time to gather reports from various agencies including the coroner's service as well as on forensics, and that TV stories about homicides make a difficult process look easy.

Wiebe says the couple, who are now married, had other children in their care and that they no longer live with them.

"This is a tragic investigation that affected numerous people," he told a news conference, citing everyone connected to the little boy, including his classmates.

Wiebe says he could not say why the couple was charged with first-degree murder, which involves intent, because that would be providing details that will have to be revealed in court.

MORE National ARTICLES

47 Canadians charged in global investigation

47 Canadians charged in global investigation
The Mounties said 186 charges have been laid in Canada so far during the investigation, dubbed Operation H. Arrests have been made in eight provinces over the past two years, they said, adding the investigation is still underway.

47 Canadians charged in global investigation

Judge dismisses bid to halt federal emergency measures, calling issue moot

Judge dismisses bid to halt federal emergency measures, calling issue moot
The group and Nagle, who took part in the anti-government protests, asked the Federal Court for an injunction last month to stay Liberal use of the emergencies law and associated measures while their full case plays out.

Judge dismisses bid to halt federal emergency measures, calling issue moot

Half of South Asian women plan to quit job: study

Half of South Asian women plan to quit job: study
More than half of the 700 South Asian women respondents to a survey by CulturaliQ and the Pink Attitude Evolution say they are planning to leave their jobs for other opportunities.

Half of South Asian women plan to quit job: study

WestJet Group to buy Sunwing Airlines amid turbulent global travel market

WestJet Group to buy Sunwing Airlines  amid turbulent global travel market
Under the agreement, a new tour operating business unit will be created under the WestJet Group, to include both Sunwing Vacations and WestJet Vacations Inc. and will be led by Sunwing CEO Stephen Hunter.

WestJet Group to buy Sunwing Airlines amid turbulent global travel market

Vancouver home sales up 50% from start of year

Vancouver home sales up 50% from start of year
The B.C. board says Metro Vancouver home sales totalled 3,424 last month, down 8.1 per cent from 3,727 in February 2021 and up 49.8 per cent from 2,285 in January 2022. 

Vancouver home sales up 50% from start of year

The mayor of Penticton accused in lawsuit of threatening to kill siblings

The mayor of Penticton accused in lawsuit of threatening to kill siblings
A notice of application filed last week on behalf of his brother, Nicholas Vassilakakis, includes a transcript of a voice mail the mayor allegedly left their sister making the threat.

The mayor of Penticton accused in lawsuit of threatening to kill siblings