Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau Asks Transport Minister To Tackle Greyhound’s Western Pullout

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2018 01:58 PM
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has asked Transport Minister Marc Garneau to find solutions following Greyhound's withdrawal of bus service from western Canada.
     
     
    Trudeau says Greyhound's move is "difficult" for people who live in the Prairies and for those who are struggling economically.
     
     
    "I have asked our minister of transport to work with the provinces, to work with communities, to work with the company to try and see what paths forward there are," said Trudeau.
     
     
    Trudeau was responding to questions from reporters on a highway in Sutherlands River, N.S., about whether Ottawa is prepared to offer subsidies to keep the service running or offer an alternative.
     
     
    Greyhound Canada announced last week it is cutting passenger and delivery services in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, northwestern Ontario and rural British Columbia.
     
     
    The decision triggered outrage and apprehension among rural and First Nations communities that rely heavily on the company's service.
     
     
    Indigenous women's advocates have said that Greyhound's decision will put more women at risk.
     
     
    The issue of transportation along a notorious stretch of B.C.'s Highway 16 — known as the Highway of Tears — was a major point of contention last fall during hearings at the national inquiry for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
     
     
    "We of course continue to be extremely concerned by the challenge of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, that's why we launched the national public inquiry into the issue," said Trudeau.
     
     
    "We of course are reflecting on that element of it and looking for how we can contribute to solutions."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence
    The woman had been convicted for stabbing Douglas Barrett in the back in his Sydney, N.S., home on Sept. 19, 2015.

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts
      Police said this week their investigation found the alleged incident didn't happen, just days after the girl and her family gave a detailed account during a high-profile news conference.

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne
    BARRIE, Ont. — Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is defending her comments against hate crime following an alleged attack on an 11-year-old Toronto girl wearing a hijab that later turned out to be untrue.

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne

    Halifax Police Lay Charges In Heckling Of CTV Reporter During Live Broadcast

    Halifax Police Lay Charges In Heckling Of CTV Reporter During Live Broadcast
    HALIFAX — A 25-year-old man has been charged after a crass taunt was hurled at a female reporter as she was broadcasting live from a Halifax pub.

    Halifax Police Lay Charges In Heckling Of CTV Reporter During Live Broadcast

    Police Don't Think They'll Charge The Mother Of Allegedly Abandoned Baby

    Toronto police say they don't believe they'll lay charges against the mother of a newborn baby boy who was allegedly abandoned Tuesday morning outside a commercial building.

    Police Don't Think They'll Charge The Mother Of Allegedly Abandoned Baby

    Change In Politics, Society On Sexual Misconduct 'Not Fast Enough,' Says Trudeau

    Change In Politics, Society On Sexual Misconduct 'Not Fast Enough,' Says Trudeau
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he believes society is still lagging behind the systemic changes he is trying to make on Parliament Hill when it comes to preventing and responding to sexual harassment and other inappropriate behaviour.

    Change In Politics, Society On Sexual Misconduct 'Not Fast Enough,' Says Trudeau