Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Jan, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is ready to deliver a "purposeful, forceful but reasonable immediate" response if U.S. President Donald Trump imposes tariffs on Canadian imports.

During an event in Toronto today, Trudeau said that it's "not what we want, but if he moves forward, we will also act."

His comments come as three federal cabinet ministers are in Washington making a last-ditch attempt to stop Trump from slapping 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports as early as Saturday.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly, Public Safety Minister David McGuinty and Immigration Minister Marc Miller are all in the U.S. capital making a final diplomatic push to convince Republican lawmakers and Trump's team to sway the president.

Trump initially claimed his tariff threat was in response to a failure by Canada and Mexico to curb the illegal flow of people and drugs across the border.

Trudeau today tried to reassure Canadians while acknowledging Canada "could be facing difficult times in the coming days and weeks."

"I won't sugarcoat it," he said.

Trudeau said he knows Canadians "might be anxious and worried, but I want them to know the federal government, and indeed all orders of government, have their backs."

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc sent a video Thursday describing Canada's border security efforts to Trump's nominee for commerce secretary.

Trudeau said Friday Canada has responded to Trump's concerns with a $1.3 billion border security plan.

"In fact, the first patrol helicopters began monitoring the border earlier this week, and new canine teams, along with imaging tools, are being deployed to detect and stop the flow of fentanyl," he said.

He noted less than one per cent of fentanyl and illegal crossings into the United States come from Canada.

MORE National ARTICLES

More than a quarter of Canadians will spend at least 100 bones on Halloween: poll

More than a quarter of Canadians will spend at least 100 bones on Halloween: poll
A new poll suggests more than a quarter of Canadians will spend $100 or more on Halloween, with roughly 70 per cent of respondents saying they'll fork over as much money as they did last year on candy and costumes. That's according to polling firm Leger, which surveyed 1,520 adults this month on their Halloween habits.  

More than a quarter of Canadians will spend at least 100 bones on Halloween: poll

Recounts rarely alter elections. There's another reason they matter, says B.C. expert

Recounts rarely alter elections. There's another reason they matter, says B.C. expert
Premier David Eby's NDP claimed victory on Monday in B.C.'s Oct. 19 election, but the counting isn't over. Two judicial recounts were triggered at the end of the "final count," by an NDP candidate's 27-vote victory margin in Surrey-Guildford, and a Conservative candidate's 38-vote win in Kelowna Centre.

Recounts rarely alter elections. There's another reason they matter, says B.C. expert

Ottawa urged to halt imports of endangered monkeys for drug testing, amid U.S. probe

Ottawa urged to halt imports of endangered monkeys for drug testing, amid U.S. probe
The influx of long-tailed macaques from Cambodia, which the U.S. alleges are being illegally captured from the wild, has animal advocates, researchers and opposition politicians sounding the alarm over animal welfare and potential public-health risks. The latest push comes from the federal NDP, which is urging Ottawa to bring "immediate attention" to the issue. 

Ottawa urged to halt imports of endangered monkeys for drug testing, amid U.S. probe

Telecommunication theft in Abbotsford

Telecommunication theft in Abbotsford
Police say they're investigating an increase in thefts targeting Telus communication lines in the Abbotsford area. A statement from Abbotsford police says the thefts have interrupted 9-1-1 service and resulted in 100-thousand-dollars' worth of damage.

Telecommunication theft in Abbotsford

Pedestrian struck in Surrey

Pedestrian struck in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are asking the public for dash-camera footage after a crash that sent a pedestrian to hospital with serious injuries. R-C-M-P say it happened last night in the area of 188 Street and 60 Avenue, where the man was allegedly struck by the driver of an Audi Q-3 S-U-V.

Pedestrian struck in Surrey

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea
Last week, 24 members of the caucus signed on to a letter calling on the prime minister to step down, but the next day Trudeau said firmly that he will lead his party into the next election. Some of the dissenters are now calling for Liberal MPs to vote in a secret ballot on whether Trudeau should remain leader.

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea